DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The DV Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/)
-   -   DVC6 Official question thread. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/71326-dvc6-official-question-thread.html)

Pete Bauer August 13th, 2006 07:08 AM

See #4:
http://www.thedvchallenge.com/rules.shtml

Edward Slonaker August 13th, 2006 07:50 AM

I've read the rule, hence the confusion. You're posting a deadline but accepting entries up to 30 hours past it.

I realize I may lose favor with the voting cast by saying this (not that I had a snowball's chance anyway because you've got some extremely talented folks on here), but if you're going to post rules and not stick to them, then it's really not fair to those who have been abiding by them from the beginning.

I'm not trying to be adversarial about this, just want some clarity so I can decide if I really have to bust it to get done by 11:59 Saturday night or if I do indeed have an additional day to get it done.

Robert Martens August 13th, 2006 08:04 AM

You haven't lost favor in my eyes, Edward, I understand where you're coming from. While I can't speak for Dylan, I believe I know the answer:

"When the theme is announced on a Thursday morning, the deadline is midnight, Pacific Standard Time, the following Sunday (10 days later) night. Sometimes we go to bed early, which makes us slightly flexible on the deadline but if it isn’t there when we check email Monday morning, you are definitely out."

There are only two twelve o'clocks that occur each day; one in the early, early morning, and one that signifies noon. To be technical, neither is really "night". And though some people refer to those wee hours as such, they are usually lumping them in with the previous day, not the one that's just starting. "Man, I was up late last night, I didn't get to bed until three AM!" No, three AM was not technically part of that person's "night", but that's how people speak.

I suppose all that's a little insulting to one's intelligence, and I apologize for that, but my point is that all of this leads me to believe that Dylan is using the unofficial, colloquial version of "midnight Sunday" that most people use, and not the technical, correct-though-often-unused version.

Edward Slonaker August 13th, 2006 08:20 AM

Thanks, Robert. Your answer makes perfect sense. I guess I've been working for DoD so long I take time too literally. Nice to know I can still "tweak" today if I want/need to. Appreciate your response.

Dick Mays August 13th, 2006 04:24 PM

Busted Quicktime

Well, I've exhausted two hours trying to figure out why my Quicktime no longer plays any audio files. Unfortunately I have run out of time to play with QT Pro. I am force to submit only a WIndows File.

Still, considering I didn't start shooting until yesterday morning, I'm calling it a success!

Good luck to everyone.

Chris Barcellos August 13th, 2006 06:23 PM

Dick:

I've had the same problem, with Quicktime Pro, something is going on, but can't figure, so Window media here I come. Windows medias is working so nice with the HDV renders anyway....

Sean McHenry August 15th, 2006 09:47 PM

Since this is the question thread, I seem to have lost, forgotten and/or misplaced the following information; what are the prizes for this DVC? Anyone have a link with it in there? I thought I saw it someplace but it isn't obvious to me now.

Thanks,
Sean

Jeff Tyler August 15th, 2006 10:36 PM

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=71324

Dick Mays August 16th, 2006 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
Dick:

I've had the same problem, with Quicktime Pro, something is going on, but can't figure, so Window media here I come. Windows medias is working so nice with the HDV renders anyway....

Anybody else having a probelm with Quicktime? I'd like to have another go at it, and post a Quicktime link too, but I'm not sure if I would be violating the rules of the contest since I didn't get a AT version done before Sunday night.

Even if I'm not allowed to post a QT entry, I'd still like to get my QT Pro working. I'm currently thinking I will have to uninstall and reinstall it. Anybody else have the porblem and able to fix it?

Lorinda Norton August 16th, 2006 03:46 PM

I don't have QT Pro, Dick, but this time I put up an mp4 link. (It only plays as a QT for me.) The mp4 is almost the same file size as a mov rendered using the guidelines posted on this forum, but the quality seems much higher. If your reinstall doesn't work you might try it. :)

Dick Mays August 16th, 2006 04:12 PM

Thanks Lorinda. I really don't understand all the rendering options, but I have Adobe Premiere Pro. I played with the settings but failed to render any decent QT file until I got QT Pro. Premiere does render nice wmv files, but the QT settings were beyond me.

Colton Davie August 21st, 2006 01:29 PM

So, now that the finalists have been posted, can the rest of us publicly post our entries?

Michael Fossenkemper August 21st, 2006 01:34 PM

Not so fast there. this is day one. we've got 26 more films to get through.

John Brickner Jr August 21st, 2006 01:34 PM

I think they're all going to get posted in the "finalist" thread. This is just day one of films. The rest will be posted throughout the week.

Colton Davie August 21st, 2006 02:59 PM

Oh, okay. This is my first DVC and I was a bit confused. Thanks for clearing that up.

Sean McHenry August 21st, 2006 03:23 PM

You have to look at Dylan, our fun loving leader of the pack as a sort of large scruffy cat. He likes to watch us run around in circles for a while before pouncing on us. Kind of like that alley cat with the one long tooth and the other knocked out in a fight with an unruley tripod or something. (Personally, I think it's the booze that makes him this way)

Seriously, I know it's tough and we all want the feedback, one way or another but this is the way the big cat plays the game. He has been known to be bribed with large quantities of golden colored alcoholic beverages. The older the better. Wait - wasn't I being serious?

Oh yeah. Welcome to the pack with the rest of us rats. We are all on the same ship. Hang in there and enjoy the ones that come out daily.

Sean McHenry

Mike Teutsch August 21st, 2006 06:25 PM

Hey, I've done four and I was confused too! Had to reread it to see the "Here's the first five." I think what Dylan meant was here are the entries, but I'm not sure. I hope so.

Mike

Sean McHenry August 24th, 2006 09:50 AM

All posted?

I thought they were all getting posted too but looking at the thread again, it looks like 15 finalists to vote on?

So if that's true, when do we need our votes in? Does everyone that submitted anything vote even if they are not in the finalist catagory?

Lot's going on at work and I haven't been following as closely as I should have been.

Thanks,

Sean

Chris Barcellos August 24th, 2006 09:52 AM

I'm guessing Dylan hasn't been able to get to posting todays films yet. Hang in there.

Dylan Couper August 24th, 2006 10:22 AM

Correct. Everyone gets posted, then I'll do the top 10.

Sean McHenry August 24th, 2006 11:49 AM

Ah. The way it's worded had me thinking the ones posted were the top whatever. That's cool. I'll be around.

Sean

Dylan Couper August 24th, 2006 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean McHenry
Ah. The way it's worded had me thinking the ones posted were the top whatever. That's cool. I'll be around.

Sean

ANd here you were thinking it was that easy to get into the top 10? :)

Sean McHenry August 25th, 2006 07:33 AM

Nope, I would never say that. I know better. The competition is getting so good, I'm going to have to back out and start competing with 6th graders just to make myself feel better. Then again, some of those kids are pretty smart. Make that 3rd graders.

I'm behind on watching. Got to go see more shorts. Hey, wasn't that a joke?

C. Moore Shorts?

Sean

Lorinda Norton August 26th, 2006 10:18 AM

Dylan, are you going to narrow down the ten finalists by yourself? I couldn't find the discussion anywhere but I could swear we decided you should be eligible to win this contest. What if yours deserves to be one of the ten? :)

Dylan Couper August 26th, 2006 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton
Dylan, are you going to narrow down the ten finalists by yourself? I couldn't find the discussion anywhere but I could swear we decided you should be eligible to win this contest. What if yours deserves to be one of the ten? :)

Oh, I had to disqualify mine, so no worries. I broke at least 4 rules. I'll be posting mine probably Monday anyway though. :)

Lorinda Norton August 26th, 2006 10:54 AM

Dylan Couper breaking rules. Why does that not surprise me? lol. Oh well, can't wait to be entertained on Monday!

Mike Teutsch August 26th, 2006 11:48 AM

Not sure Dylan even knows how to spell "rules!" Probably why he had someone else do the website! :)

Mike

William Gardner August 26th, 2006 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan Couper
Oh, I had to disqualify mine, so no worries. I broke at least 4 rules. I'll be posting mine probably Monday anyway though. :)

Looking forward to seeing all the girls in bikinis in your flick. I'll personally gather consensus among the other entrants to add your film into the final voting if your film contains sufficient bikini quality and quantity (or if you send me some of your scotch). :)

Bill

Dylan Couper August 27th, 2006 09:33 AM

Heh, no bikinis in mine sadly.