Region Specific flags (somehow).... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > DV Info Net Announcements
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

DV Info Net Announcements
Important news relating to the DV Info Net site and these message boards.

Old April 3rd, 2010, 06:08 PM   #16
Inner Circle

How does this work?

For anyone who's got a bit lost in all that detail up above, here's how it works.

I want to contact all DVinfo members in India, say, 'cos I want to make a visit and meet up with some like minded souls there.

I mosey on down to the bottom of the Index page, click on "Region Specific Threads", then click on "New Thread".

I get the usual post box with the addition of a drop down Supergroup/ country list.

I scroll down to "India", click on it and proceed to write the post.

Post it, hey presto, the Index page now has a new "Last Post" (from me) and up bold and beautifull is "India" as well.

Down the track (well, when I've found a suitable bribe for Jeff) every DVinfo member*** in India will see a nice big flashing red star superimposed on the usual "new post" noticeboard over on the hard left of the Index page, telling them there is a new India specific post in the Forum.

Everybody else in the known Universe sees the same "Last Post", but no flashing red star ('cos it ain't aimed at 'em, natch).

Everybody in the known Universe who can post on DVinfo, can post to that thread too, hey, the more the merrier.

Sounds almost too simple, doesn't it?

It's so rediculously simple I'm staggered no one's thought of it before, actually.

CS

PS *** I can't see why any Indian lurkers couldn't see it as well, thinking about it. Might be a way of enticing more lurkers in off the streets.

PPS: Following this through a bit further, with the supergroup/ country list being such an easily amendable feast, and given the way the system as proposed works, it is quite concieveable that a DVinfo member in India or anywhere else, for that matter, could start their own "country" thread within the "Region Specific Threads" forum with no further amendments to the system.

Thus the massive UK contingent could, for example, start their own UK centric thread dealing with specifically UK problems and solutions.

I'm really looking forward to talking to more of my fellow Kiwis (yeah, even those on the West Island).

Last edited by Chris Soucy; April 3rd, 2010 at 06:29 PM. Reason: ++Update
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2010, 08:46 PM   #17
Equal Opportunity Offender

In the meantime, we can always invade New Zealand.

(ducking)

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2010, 09:39 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Still thinking..........

Must be sommat in the water.......

Bit late Andrew, there's nearly half a million of our troops (er, undercover operatives) stationed in Oz, er, the West Island already. You're ours!

Going back to that "New Thread" post page for a moment.

I can't see any reason why there couldn't be even three drop down boxes, based on relative member numbers ie:

1. USA, supergroups thereof and individual states, others by request/ negotiation.

2. Canada?

3. Rest of world

Based on info I don't have, must be in the works somewhere tho'.

Getting really excited about this now, I think this is gonna work.

Any chance for Monday, Jeff?

CS

PS: ROFLH

PPS: Based on Sareesh's comments below, why not make the drop down boxes "multi select" so you can hold down the Ctrl key and select, say, India + Pakistan, thus making your own supergroups?

Hey, this thing is gonna be cooking with gas!

Last edited by Chris Soucy; April 3rd, 2010 at 10:33 PM. Reason: I may be getting older but seem to be getting smarter...
Old April 3rd, 2010, 09:53 PM   #19
Trustee

Chris
It's a good idea...but my knowledge of forum software is non-existent...i don't even know what the index page is.:)
But I get one thing: allowing people from similar regions to network together will help scale it up a lot better - technologies keep changing, countries mostly don't.
Old April 4th, 2010, 10:28 PM   #20
Inner Circle

And another thing..............

Sareesh:

The Index page is the page that loads as soon as you log in or fire up the Forum. It lists every single forum and sub forum and the most recent post in all of them, it's basically station central. Down the left hand side there's a little blue "notice board" indicating the status of each forum for you alone, thus, if you've read every single post in a particular forum (or marked them all as read) there will be no post- it note indicating there is a new post.

More information on it than you can point a stick at.

Where was I?

Ah, yes. A question or three to the Management & OR Jeff.

A little bit of crystal ball gazing on my part threw up some interesting possibilities.

If (no, let's be positive) WHEN this all comes about, it is quite conceivable we will get bods joining DVinfo from lands far and wide across the planet, people who wouldn't dream of joining before because..........drum roll.........it is primarilly an English only site.

However, with access to Region Specific threads, I can forsee non English speakers joining and conversing with others from that region WHO CAN speak English, but in their native language, in effect using the English speakers as unpaid translators (to some extent, at least).

This threw up my first question.

Does DVinfo have on board a full set of International character sets, and I do mean a FULL SET? Japanese? Chinese (I remember diving into that subject some time back and backing out, thinking "We need a bigger boat")?

Now this leads me onto another subject that I really just want to leave under it's rock for the moment, but guess I'll have to prise out into the open at some point.

Given that Google Translator would appear to be, for our purposes anyway, completely useless (see my other thread next door on the subject, very popular, amazing) how does one keep the natives from becoming revolting when one doesn't have the foggiest what they're talking about?

[Aside: as no real tests have been done with an "average" post length and content, I'm probably being a tad harsh with the "useless" tag, it may well stand up quite well, we shall have to see.]

That really is rhetorical and I'm not expecting a hard and fast answer (from anyone) at this point, but I do think it needs to get into the collective conciousness as a subject of merit.

The usual "Report this Post" thing is all very well, but I forsee a problem or two if the adjudicators, can't.

And finally, Jeff, when are we going to see this? Chris, ARE we going to see this?

I have to admit I see this as a HUGE positive step for DVinfo, not in the effort to get it actioned, but in what it might bring to the site when it has been.

I'm quite aware that this isn't attracting quite the positive feedback I would have liked, but heck, if you think back to some of the negative mud slinging that went on over my "Google DVinfo" suggestion of a couple of years ago, blimey, this is five standing ovations by comparison - and how many times a day is that Google search bar used? Thousands?

And nary a squeak from the naysayers.

Jeff - next week, right?

CS

PS: BTW, The Google Search Bar: I have never accepted (except in jest), nor has anyone suggested, that there was a causal link between my suggesting it and it actually appearing. I just figured you were, as usual, way out in front and it was happening anyway.

Just in case anyone got the wrong end of the stick on that one.

Last edited by Chris Soucy; April 4th, 2010 at 10:40 PM. Reason: +
Old April 4th, 2010, 11:12 PM   #21
Obstreperous Rex

It can't happen until after NAB, sorry Chris. All of us, Jeff especially, have heaping plates of work to plow through in preparation for NAB. It's pretty much the dominant aspect of our lives at the moment. We'll have to revisit this sometime afterwards.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2010, 09:22 PM   #22
Trustee

Over the last two years I've noticed not a lot of South Asian forum members contribute regularly...so I'm sure it's not a pressing issue for this region anyway [The solution to all our problems is always a Sony].

Can DVinfo be made mobile friendly? Not everyone in the world is connected to a computer, but they are to the mobile phone.
Old April 5th, 2010, 10:01 PM   #23
Inner Circle

I like it..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sareesh Sudhakaran View Post
The solution to all our problems is always a Sony].
Oh, if only it was that simple...........

Fair enough Chris, already factored that "little spot of bother" into the time frame and figured you guys would be in "one armed paper hanger" mode.

Everybody else (er, 1!) I know who has anything to do with it (NAB) is in exactly the same mode.

(Couldn't resist a spot of leg pulling tho', you know me.)

I can at least take comfort in the fact that IT WILL happen, which is great.

Really looking forward to seeing this roll out, going to be fascinating watching how it developes.

You guys enjoy NAB, catch you on your return once the shoe leather has stopped smoking.

CS
Old May 25th, 2010, 11:57 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Not nagging or nothing............

but is there "any movement at the station" on this one? (Banjo Patterson, I believe).

Just an update is all.

I'm well aware, from my mainframe years, of being the piggy in the middle, with CEO's asking "When's it gonna be fixed" to them not taking too kindly to the stock response (born after numerous "in an hour" responses and it taking an extra three days ) of _

"When it's fixed".

Just a hint would be fine.

CS
Old June 7th, 2010, 05:28 AM   #25
Major Player

Chris s,

This sounds like a great idea.

I believe it's very simple, with only a few minutes of programing involved.

I have an extensive understanding of programing as I'll now demonstrate, There are 8 bits to a byte and .....oh bugga, someones at the door...gotta dash, back later..... I'm sure you'll work it out !!!! :)

Seriously, it sounds good, keep at it, if there's one thing you Kiwi's are good at, it's pestering people...... :)

Al
Alan Melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2010, 11:38 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Ah, Allen, of no fixed abode...............

I long ago learnt that the steady "drip, drip, drip" method works best when breaking someone down, they'll have to give in eventually.

As the Daleks put it, so succicntly - "Resistance is futile",

especially when my Oz mates chime in with nice things to say about it!

Keep up the good work (and get some of your other Oz mates to "write to the Editor" as well!)

I have visions of Jeff and a host of others, slaving over super heated terminals, way into the wee smalls, trying to figure out how and then make this fly.

Brownie points if they can, reckon they could license it across the known universe if they can crack it, could be a nice little earner for DVinfo (less my cut, of course).

CS
Old June 17th, 2010, 09:02 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Forgive the nit-pick Chris, but actually it's the Borg that say "Resistance is futile." The Daleks rarely say much beyond "Exterminate!"

As for your idea, it's a great one, and I'm sure Chris Hurd will incorporate it eventually.

Aloha,

Larry Price
Obssessive Trek Fan and Whovian
Larry Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 09:10 PM   #28
Obstreperous Rex

Lots of irons in the fire right now... but it's still on the short list. Thanks for your patience,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2010, 12:25 AM   #29
Inner Circle

Ah....................

Of course, Larry, you are correct, how could I forget, "1 of 7" or whatever it was, most amazing human form I've ever seen in Spandex!

Chris H, appreciated.

"lots of irons in the fire" (aren't there always?),

I know you'll get there eventually (Jeff and the staff working 36 hour days?).

Site's looking good tho'.

CS
Old October 17th, 2010, 04:43 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Drip...................

Any news?

CS

PS:

Wow, 3,518 hits since first launched, not bad for a beginner.

Still a country mile behind my "Foreign Language" thread a few doors over at 7,833, but that was always going to be a hot topic.

When this gets launched, people won't be able to believe just how powerfull it can be.

It'll happen.

Last edited by Chris Soucy; October 18th, 2010 at 12:23 AM.
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > DV Info Net Announcements