DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVC Feedback! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/)
-   -   DVC8 - Josh Johnson - "TV Dinner" (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/92814-dvc8-josh-johnson-tv-dinner.html)

Josh Johnson April 30th, 2007 02:55 PM

DVC8 - Josh Johnson - "TV Dinner"

Since I am already avoiding work the rest of the afternoon (All 5 minutes of it), I might as well start the feedback forum for my entry, "TV Dinner".

Thanks!

Chris Barcellos May 8th, 2007 08:59 AM

I think I figured out that you "TV Dinner" was not one posted today..... right ?

Josh Johnson May 8th, 2007 09:14 AM

Yeah, my "TV Dinner" is another one...

Haha! 2 TV Dinners!

sigh, I'm hungry...

Anders Risvold May 8th, 2007 01:16 PM

Loved the hunting scene.

*spoiler*

If I should point out one thing, it would be the ending, where I got the plot after the TV was hunted down. So I think I would have shortened down, and cut to just carry the 'baked' tv out of the oven.

Josh Johnson May 8th, 2007 01:31 PM

Hi Anders, Just a note in reply to your message, apparently there are actually two movies called "TV Dinner", this forum is for my version that comes out tomorrow... I think...

Stephen van Vuuren May 8th, 2007 01:39 PM

Josh!

Great to see you here. Since I'm out of storage space and money on Outside In, I was actually signed up to enter but a paying gig got rescheduled and I'm on the wall o shame.

However, I did write my script for this entry and I've expanded it and will shoot the whole piece in June.

Can't wait to see your film though.

Anders Risvold May 8th, 2007 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Johnson (Post 675000)
Hi Anders, Just a note in reply to your message, apparently there are actually two movies called "TV Dinner", this forum is for my version that comes out tomorrow... I think...

Haha, my bad. Well, I'll be looking forward to the other TV dinner then :D
Sorry for mixing up, I look at a movie and try comment as I go.

Josh Johnson May 9th, 2007 08:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, since this version of TV dinner is posted here is the single behind the scenes photo... I had to convert my living room into a dining room... It was fun though, we went out onset for another film for my blog and I guess were inspired enough to START making the short at about 11:30pm... I hope you enjoy!

Sean McHenry May 9th, 2007 09:07 AM

I had to make my dining room into an office area. I know how that works...

Nicely acted. Well done.

It would have hit me in a good way if I didn't already know the theme. Put this one on google video and youtube and see what people say.

Overall: Nice one indeed.

Sean

Chris Barcellos May 9th, 2007 09:27 AM

Josh:

Nice to have a good actress at your disposal !! Nice film technique, and use of cutaways and extreme closeups. I agree with Sean that knowing the premise of the challenge, made the "surprise" of who or what she was dealing with a bit anticlimactic for us, but it should play well with the unsuspecting. Nice job..

William Gardner May 9th, 2007 09:33 AM

I too thought that the film technique was very good. Good shot selections, use of closeups and cutaways, etc. It also had a romantic, soft, diffused look which fit the piece well. Did you have some diffused light/ diffusion filter on? I liked the look.

Like the others, I felt like I saw the punchline coming (though I also saw the photo of your setup in your thread, so that may have contributed to this as well) because we knew the theme. Would probably work well on the unsuspecting...

Nice work!
Bill

Josh Johnson May 9th, 2007 09:42 AM

Thanks! She'll be glad to hear people thinking she acted well. I don't think she was happy with her performance.

Maybe that is what was driving me crazy about the short; that the punchline was obvious... (Besides the shakey camera jerks due to my Piece of Crap cheapo tripod.) :) I've shown it to a few who don't know the theme and I always find myself explaining the theme... But I have found people laughing at different places... I always chuckle at the "get run over by the papparazzi" line... :)

Thanks William, I was going for the soft romantic look. I diffused the light on set and added some pink/rose gels. Then I softened it up in post a bit. I actually shot myself in the foot and shot it a bit too dark and had to lighten it up in post some.

Thanks!

Mugurel Dragusin May 9th, 2007 09:46 AM

The looks are good, however I felt that she is talking to a TV since the beginning, great idea though. Maybe I "saw" the thing because of the theme.

Nice editing! :)

Ronn Kilby May 9th, 2007 10:18 AM

Well shot. Actress is great. Monologue was classic. As has been said, we all knew what was coming because of the theme. Would have been nice to tease the viewer a bit more with out of focus bits of the TV ("over the shoulder") especially if it could look like a person's shoulder. Loved the caress of the wine glass stem and the caress of the remote. Nicely done.

Brent Graham May 9th, 2007 01:51 PM

I thought this was funny. I kinda figured what was going on when nobody grabbed the other wine glass. But your actress' monologue was well written/performed.

Nice work!