DVC8 - Josh Johnson - "TV Dinner" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 30th, 2007, 02:55 PM   #1
Regular Crew

DVC8 - Josh Johnson - "TV Dinner"

Since I am already avoiding work the rest of the afternoon (All 5 minutes of it), I might as well start the feedback forum for my entry, "TV Dinner".

Thanks!
Old May 8th, 2007, 08:59 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I think I figured out that you "TV Dinner" was not one posted today..... right ?
Old May 8th, 2007, 09:14 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Yeah, my "TV Dinner" is another one...

Haha! 2 TV Dinners!

sigh, I'm hungry...
Old May 8th, 2007, 01:16 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Loved the hunting scene.

*spoiler*

If I should point out one thing, it would be the ending, where I got the plot after the TV was hunted down. So I think I would have shortened down, and cut to just carry the 'baked' tv out of the oven.
Anders Risvold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 01:31 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Anders, Just a note in reply to your message, apparently there are actually two movies called "TV Dinner", this forum is for my version that comes out tomorrow... I think...
Old May 8th, 2007, 01:39 PM   #6
Space Hipster

Josh!

Great to see you here. Since I'm out of storage space and money on Outside In, I was actually signed up to enter but a paying gig got rescheduled and I'm on the wall o shame.

However, I did write my script for this entry and I've expanded it and will shoot the whole piece in June.

Can't wait to see your film though.
Old May 8th, 2007, 02:14 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Johnson View Post
Hi Anders, Just a note in reply to your message, apparently there are actually two movies called "TV Dinner", this forum is for my version that comes out tomorrow... I think...
Haha, my bad. Well, I'll be looking forward to the other TV dinner then :D
Sorry for mixing up, I look at a movie and try comment as I go.
Anders Risvold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 08:19 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Well, since this version of TV dinner is posted here is the single behind the scenes photo... I had to convert my living room into a dining room... It was fun though, we went out onset for another film for my blog and I guess were inspired enough to START making the short at about 11:30pm... I hope you enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
DVC8 - Josh Johnson - "TV Dinner"-tv_bts_01.jpg  
Old May 9th, 2007, 09:07 AM   #9
Trustee

I had to make my dining room into an office area. I know how that works...

Nicely acted. Well done.

It would have hit me in a good way if I didn't already know the theme. Put this one on google video and youtube and see what people say.

Overall: Nice one indeed.

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 09:27 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Josh:

Nice to have a good actress at your disposal !! Nice film technique, and use of cutaways and extreme closeups. I agree with Sean that knowing the premise of the challenge, made the "surprise" of who or what she was dealing with a bit anticlimactic for us, but it should play well with the unsuspecting. Nice job..
Old May 9th, 2007, 09:33 AM   #11
Major Player

I too thought that the film technique was very good. Good shot selections, use of closeups and cutaways, etc. It also had a romantic, soft, diffused look which fit the piece well. Did you have some diffused light/ diffusion filter on? I liked the look.

Like the others, I felt like I saw the punchline coming (though I also saw the photo of your setup in your thread, so that may have contributed to this as well) because we knew the theme. Would probably work well on the unsuspecting...

Nice work!
Bill
William Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 09:42 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Thanks! She'll be glad to hear people thinking she acted well. I don't think she was happy with her performance.

Maybe that is what was driving me crazy about the short; that the punchline was obvious... (Besides the shakey camera jerks due to my Piece of Crap cheapo tripod.) :) I've shown it to a few who don't know the theme and I always find myself explaining the theme... But I have found people laughing at different places... I always chuckle at the "get run over by the papparazzi" line... :)

Thanks William, I was going for the soft romantic look. I diffused the light on set and added some pink/rose gels. Then I softened it up in post a bit. I actually shot myself in the foot and shot it a bit too dark and had to lighten it up in post some.

Thanks!
Old May 9th, 2007, 09:46 AM   #13
Major Player

The looks are good, however I felt that she is talking to a TV since the beginning, great idea though. Maybe I "saw" the thing because of the theme.

Nice editing! :)
Old May 9th, 2007, 10:18 AM   #14
Major Player

Well shot. Actress is great. Monologue was classic. As has been said, we all knew what was coming because of the theme. Would have been nice to tease the viewer a bit more with out of focus bits of the TV ("over the shoulder") especially if it could look like a person's shoulder. Loved the caress of the wine glass stem and the caress of the remote. Nicely done.
Ronn Kilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 01:51 PM   #15
Major Player

I thought this was funny. I kinda figured what was going on when nobody grabbed the other wine glass. But your actress' monologue was well written/performed.

Nice work!
Brent Graham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!