7D movie and picture sample at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD > EOS Crop Sensor (APS-C) Sample Clips Gallery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

EOS Crop Sensor (APS-C) Sample Clips Gallery
Post your EOS M / 60D / 7D / Rebel clips here... Vimeo and YouTube links will automatically embed a player right in the post.

Old September 1st, 2009, 12:55 AM   #1
7D movie and picture sample
Bunseng Chuor Bunseng Chuor is offline September 1st, 2009, 12:55 AM

Canon: EOS 7D Sample Images & Movies

Bunseng Chuor
Regular Crew
Views: 10917
Old September 1st, 2009, 09:30 AM   #2
Contributor

AUUGGHHHHH!!! Damn those people at Canon--Trains going by and NO rolling shutter effect. Now I want one! If the footage had had the tearing I've seen from other cameras, I wouldn't want it. Now I've gotta have one. Curses!
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 09:57 AM   #3
Major Player

i assume the oversharpening and highlight clipping is just poorly processed footage and/or bad picture profile. i am a bit impressed i dont see any jello going on on the extremely shaky motorcycle pov shot, but it might just be too fast to see anything.
Noah Yuan-Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 10:13 AM   #4
Regular Crew

actually there is plenty rolling shutter on the train if you pause it on a frame with the dark gap between carriages. Bad as ever.
Old September 1st, 2009, 10:19 AM   #5
Regular Crew

The shaky car footage proves it for me, looks great!
Chad Nickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 10:25 AM   #6
Contributor

I'll check it out again, but if I can't see it when it's playing at normal speed, I can live with it. Could be the train is going too fast. However, they have some other shots at slower speeds with lots of vertical lines and I don't see any problems.
Old September 1st, 2009, 10:50 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
I'll check it out again, but if I can't see it when it's playing at normal speed, I can live with it. Could be the train is going too fast. However, they have some other shots at slower speeds with lots of vertical lines and I don't see any problems.
Here's a sample: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/1296869-post12.html
Rick Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 11:06 AM   #8
Contributor

I wonder what happens with slower horizontal movement. In the Nikon footage I saw, the image would tear, like the bottom half of a vertical line was behind the top half. It was really noticeable. I didn't see this black thing when playing at normal speed.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 10:53 AM   #9
Go Go Godzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
AUUGGHHHHH!!! Damn those people at Canon--Trains going by and NO rolling shutter effect...!
Actually the rolling shutter effect is *huge* as the train passes by up close in the opening of the clip. Take a look at it again: the black lines between the cars are completely skewed from top to bottom as a diagonal. However when you see the train in the far shot crossing over the river it's clear those black lines between train-cars are in fact perfectly vertical.

This is also evident in every telephone pole and building that passes by from the inside-train view.

Unfortunately there's no getting away from the side effects of a rolling shutter; maybe at some point Canon - and other's brands using rolling shutters - will create software in-camera to compensate for skew but for today it's a very evident and potentially nasty "gotcha" that you must be aware of with either fast moving objects or camera panning.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 11:07 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lane View Post
Unfortunately there's no getting away from the side effects of a rolling shutter; maybe at some point Canon - and other's brands using rolling shutters - will create software in-camera to compensate for skew but for today it's a very evident and potentially nasty "gotcha" that you must be aware of with either fast moving objects or camera panning.

RollingShutter might be worth getting. It certainly looks impressive: RollingShutter Reminds Us That While Jello Wiggles, Videos Should Not - Rollingshutter - Gizmodo

The rolling shutter I have seen on the 5D and 7D samples seems to be much lower than the D90 samples I've seen. I think I could mostly live with the examples seen in the 7D
Michael Murie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 02:19 PM   #11
Inner Circle

I agree with the assertion that nobody in the world cares about rolling shutter artifacts except video people. In every instance, I have had to point it out to family members and friends on shows I have shot with CMOS cameras with rolling shutter.

It's all us people, nobody else gives a ****

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 03:40 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brockett View Post
I agree with the assertion that nobody in the world cares about rolling shutter artifacts except video people...
Same with aliasing. Aliasing didn't stop NTSC from earning trillions of dollars for the industry over its lifetime.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 04:49 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Good one Jon, I totally agree. Most people in our line of work worry far too much about the techno geek nitpicking search for the "perfect" camera and image and not enough on the writing, concept, storyline, directing and acting.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 04:57 PM   #14
Major Player

Did anyone not see those shaking car footage? The roller is almost none existent!

How often do you film passing trains perpendicularly?
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 05:43 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
Same with aliasing. Aliasing didn't stop NTSC from earning trillions of dollars for the industry over its lifetime.
Yeah. Aliasing, interlace twitter, skew, oversharpening, oversaturation, OOF shots, cockeyed horizon, poor resolution, wonky compression artifacts, clipped audio, and tons more. Most people don't care one whit about any of that stuff, yet it all drives me absolutely crazy. I want to claw my eyes out sometimes.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD > EOS Crop Sensor (APS-C) Sample Clips Gallery