Sdi - Pcmcia at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 3rd, 2006, 01:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sdi - Pcmcia

does anyone know if an SDI pcmcia card exists ?

wanting to capture 720 60p component - AJA component to SDI converter - to laptop - Premiere 2.0 (Aspect HD)

thanks in advance
cheers
Pete
Peter Dolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 04:46 PM   #2
Regular Crew

It seems that I may have partly answered my own question on this post (correct me if I am wrong) the fastest input that I've managed to find via a digital rs422 pcmcia connection is 4mbps ... obviously not fastest enough to transfer component or even compressed HDV signals
Which leads to the next question ... can an SDI signal be transfered from/through a simple BNC-Firewire adapter to a firewire cable?

In other words component - AJA component/SDI converter - SDI cable out and then connected to Firewire cable .... into the laptop etc...
Or is this just all wishfull thinking?
cheers
Pete
Old April 3rd, 2006, 06:21 PM   #3
Major Player

I think you don't have all the info you need. RS422 (or commonly known as sony 9 pin) is only used to control adeck, its kinda like rs232 (your generic serial port) but with a different pin out and voltage? I think.

To answer your question on laptop with uncompressed hd capture... yes it can be done, no it won't be uncompressed though, the subsystem performance isn't good enough for that and you have no route into system that is fast enough.

Avid makes this think called adrenaline and I've seen it used (with DNxcel board) to capture "uncompressed" hd-sdi. I'm air quoting their because without the DNxcel board its HD-SDI ports do practically nothing but with it it can real time compress to DNxHD (avid's compression format for HD) and it all can get transfered over firewire. It works, the adrenaline device is huge though and not to portable and not cheap either.
Keith Wakeham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 06:58 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Keith

thank you for your response
I have since done more research and came to the same conclusion that I was incorrect re: the rs422 ... oh well I guess that's how one learns
I have found some possible solutions ... none of which are inexpensive ... nor very portable. I've accepted my present scenario of only being able to capture 720 30p directly to laptop ... which works very well straight into Premiere/Aspect HD by the way ... best thing is ... no drop outs!

thanks again for your response
Pete
Old April 7th, 2006, 01:06 PM   #5
Inner Circle

If your laptop has an expresscard 54 slot, you might want to do research on that. It's the succesor to the pcmcia card slot and supports up to 2.5 gb througput. SIIC has a SATA II raid card for use with 2 external SATA drives.

My HP zd8110US has both.

Maybe someone is working on something somewhere.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics