XL2 to Dell Laptop W/O Tape at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics

Old March 2nd, 2006, 02:07 PM   #1
Tourist

XL2 to Dell Laptop W/O Tape

How can I disable the DV Tape on my XL2 when recording to the hard-drive on my dell. I am using Canon console DV capture software over the firewire connection.
Ricky Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 02:17 PM   #2
Regular Crew

You need to capture without device control from your application. (you did not specify what platform you are using to capture with) I have done this from Final Cut Pro (On my mac). I haven't tried this using Vegas on my PC. It may or may not work depending on your software.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 03:18 PM   #3
Tourist

I Generaly use Vegas to capture or "DV-PC Recorder Software" to capture(AVI) for the XL2, from Canon. My question is can I record With Out the Tape in the camera. The Camera is setup for DV Control in the menu system and I can capture to tape and the hard drive at the same time.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 06:03 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I tried recording using Vegas 5 and it works without changing any settings.

1)Turn your dial on your camcorder dial to anything but "VCR" or "Off" (I tried Auto mode).
2) Remove your lense cap :^)
3) Enter capture utility in Vegas
4) Select "capture now" and "stop" when you're done.

I have an XL1s, but it should be the same. I hope this is what you mean.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 09:13 AM   #5
Tourist

The Question was about recording with out DV tape installed in the camera. I Did A Test Lastnight And "Yes" I Can Record With Out Tape. Just Remove The Tape From The DV Recorder (Canon XL2) With The Firewire Hooked up to a Laptop (Dell w/100G hd) one can record direct to the hd through a capture program. Note: Camera displays the "RED no tape symbol". The captured AVI Files recorded without any problems. After one hour of test I had no dropouts. I will still Problely run with dv tape as a backup. //RMH
Old March 21st, 2006, 05:11 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I also need to do this...does anyone know if there's a way that I can "start / pause /start" the capture and keep that in one file rather than having to make a new file everytime i stop?

I am shooting baseball games and taking out the dead time.

Thanks,

Rick
Rick Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2006, 02:44 PM   #7
New Boot

better several clips than one

You are better off with several clips than just one: should one get corrupted you are out of luck
Old March 25th, 2006, 06:40 AM   #8
New Boot

Answer to Rick Step: there's a way to do it !

But you have to use a Windows PC...

Serious Magic Dv Rack let's you use a PC (laptop works great) as a video monitor, dv recorder, audio volume monitor, vectorscope... lots of options.

I plugged a USB 2.0 drive into mu laptop and recorded without problems. You can pause, but I think it makes a new clip when you do it (I'm not sure...). I agree with Martin that it'S better to have different clips.

The new version supports HDV: i tried the demo and it's amazing !

Give it a try:

http://www.seriousmagic.com/dvrack.cfm
Jocelyn Deguise is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics