DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Pro X (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/)
-   -   Adobe offers 50% off CS5.5 to Final Cut Pro customers (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/497934-adobe-offers-50-off-cs5-5-final-cut-pro-customers.html)

Chris Hurd July 1st, 2011 06:58 AM

Adobe offers 50% off CS5.5 to Final Cut Pro customers

If you're looking for a relatively inexpensive way to add or switch to Adobe Creative Suite CS5.5, now's your chance:

"Adobe... today announced an upgrade program for video professionals who have purchased any version of Apple Final Cut Pro or Avid Media Composer and want to switch to industry-leading professional video tools by Adobe... these customers will be eligible for a 50 percent savings on Adobe Creative Suite CS5.5 Production Premium or Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5"

Full story here: Adobe Announces Switcher Program For Video Professionals at DVInfo.net

Andy Wilkinson July 1st, 2011 07:04 AM

Re: Adobe offers 50% off CS5.5 to Final Cut Pro customers

Wow! Excellent news!

Mathieu Ghekiere July 1st, 2011 07:50 AM

Ouch... great move of Adobe, big doubts for me.
It's still a very expensive program, but it's a very powerful suite and as a future RED customer, they seem to be very 'into' the RED Workflow.

Rob Katz July 1st, 2011 07:57 AM

at the discounted price, i am very interested.

ymmv

be well

rob
smalltalk productions

Mathieu Ghekiere July 1st, 2011 08:20 AM

Why these price differences are just... not reasonable anymore? I was very tempted by this offer, untill I went to the Adobe Store in Belgium. The software costs 1900 euros full without VAT. That's 2700 dollars at this point, that's a 1000 dollar difference with the American store.

Sorry, but I'm having a hard time justifiying this...

Richard D. George July 1st, 2011 09:20 AM

If one is planning to switch to a Red, software cost might end up being relatively small.

Daniel Ridicki July 1st, 2011 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mathieu Ghekiere (Post 1663521)
I went to the Adobe Store in Belgium. The software costs 1900 euros full without VAT. That's a 1000 dollar difference with the American store.

Mathieu,

Why don't you simply order it from States? I do it all the time, avoiding these ridiculous price differences.

Sean Seah July 1st, 2011 09:56 AM

Wow that is attractive... i hope the folks outside of the US could enjoy the offer too.

David Knaggs July 1st, 2011 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Ridicki (Post 1663549)
Why don't you simply order it from States? I do it all the time, avoiding these ridiculous price differences.

I thought that the US dealers weren't allowed to ship outside of the US (per their licensing with Adobe)?

And, BTW, a very smart move by Adobe. Very smart. Since Apple seem to have EOL'd DVD Studio Pro, editors need an ongoing solution for DVD creation (and Blu-ray). After all, what are new editors supposed to buy for pro DVD creation? The answer is Encore. Which is only sold with Premiere Pro. The lack of DVD creation is, to me, the biggest strategic blunder by Apple in the FCP X rollout. Even bigger than releasing FCP X version 1.0 as a half-done. Long-term, this lack of DVD (and Blu-ray) creation solutions for video editors will send many over to Encore and Premiere Pro. Just out of self-protection. This discount is a very, very smart move by Adobe. The next few months is really going to be their time to "pounce".

David Tamés July 1st, 2011 03:57 PM

Also keep in mind that Adobe offers very attractive education pricing to students, staff, and faculty of qualifying institutions, see: educational software pricing | Adobe

Justin Molush July 1st, 2011 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mathieu Ghekiere (Post 1663512)
Ouch... great move of Adobe, big doubts for me.
It's still a very expensive program, but it's a very powerful suite and as a future RED customer, they seem to be very 'into' the RED Workflow.

Considering there is a preset for RED footage when I open premiere I would think that its very easy to work with. Never directly edited RED footage though... Need to get on that...

Josh Dahlberg July 1st, 2011 09:46 PM

Tempting - the purchase code is SWITCH. I'm interested in buying two copies, but I only have one copy of FCS.

Does anyone know how the authorization/upgrade process works with Adobe (couldn't find the details on their site)? I expect I can only obtain one license at the discounted price, but hope I'm wrong.

Daniel Ridicki July 1st, 2011 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Knaggs (Post 1663630)
I thought that the US dealers weren't allowed to ship outside of the US (per their licensing with Adobe)?

Some will, some will not. Anyway, with such price differences, one can afford to fly to NY, stay over weekend, have great time, buy software and go back home, still spending less then buying the software in Europe.

Brian Drysdale July 2nd, 2011 01:17 AM

Just remember to add the sales tax to the quoted US figures.

Walter Brokx July 2nd, 2011 07:27 AM

And now I wonder whether a loyal Adobe user could get 50% off CS5.5 as well :-p