Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 18th, 2008, 06:51 PM   #1
Regular Crew

FCPS2 / QT Fee / HDV / eSATA Enclosures

Hi,

I've ordered my new Mac Pro 2.8, 4Gb Ram, my FCPS2 upgrade from FCP 4.5.

From memory about 4 years ago, when I bought FCP 4.5 I think I can remember I had to go online and shell out an extra $30 to buy QT Pro or at least to authorise it. If anyone can coroberate my memory and they remember they did the same thing to authorise QT Pro, is it still the case for the FCPS2?. I'm still in QT6.5.2

I'm looking at investing in some kind of raid system, maybe the 4 or 5 bay Firmtek enclosure.

Next, I want to start editing in HDV. Hey, doesn't everyone! I rent a Sony Z1P, I log & capture from tape. I think this means I will be capturing in HDV

There is loads of stuff about codecs, AIC, ProRes422, after market capture cards etc.

My understanding is that if I just stay in the same "workflow" ie HDV, I shouldn't have many hassles about editing on the new 8core Macs +/- a RAID system. I don't want to spend more money if I can avoid it with say a Kona or BlackMagic card etc. Any opinions would be welcome.

Lastly, does anyone know to what degree of raid capability do the Firmtek 4 & 5 bay enclosures have, their web site states "fully raid capable".

I've sent off an email to Firmtek, but no reply yet. Is it Raid 0, 0+1, 5 etc

Any opinions / comments are welcome, thanks

michael
Michael Lyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 07:26 PM   #2
Major Player

QuickTime Pro registration is included with FCS1, so I'd say it's safe to assume that it is included with FCS2.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 08:00 PM   #3
Major Player

I've been w/FCP since version 3 and QT Pro has always come as part of the package.

If you are editing HDV a RAID is overkill and just another thing to go wrong, IMO. Personally I think the best way to go w/HDV is to capture it natively over firewire and change your seq settings so all the rendering is done in ProRes instead of HDV. You will need a way to monitor your footage though so maybe pick up a BlackMagic Intensity card or the Matrox MXO.

-A
Andrew Kimery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 09:47 PM   #4
Go Go Godzilla

Michael,

Contrary to Andrew's statement, a well-configured RAID array is always a welcome component for video editing regardless what format/codec your'e working in. The Firmtek/Seritek line of enclosures are well developed and built however, they are all SATA-type, not SCSI or Fiber, which means they don't have the same performance benefit as SCSI or Fiber, but they are much more affordable. I'd highly suggest you look at the HighPoint RocketRAID or Sonnet E4P Tempo cards to connect to the Firmtek enclosures.

Any RAID setup requires proper knowledge for both setup and use; I'd highly suggest that before you start spending money that you A) Get with your local A/V distributor and spend some time asking questions about the best RAID setup for your system/budget and B) Do your research online on various forums such as this and read up on the different RAID types, configurations and how to maintain them.

Working in native HDV will take a lot of computing power especially when it comes to rendering and the final "conforming" process at the end. Apple has published several white-papers about editing in HDV and, transforming HDV into an I-frame codec using ProRes or the AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec). Read up on those so you'll understand what editing in HDV is all about and how to avoid the common pitfalls that all HDV editors have to deal with.

The Z1 is a great camera and since it's been around for some time the latest version of FCP will have all the presets built-in to handle it's footage including using the "Cineframe" feature. AJA KONA cards also have codec presets for Sony's Cineframe modes.

Get with your local dealer, ask lots of questions and do your due-diligence before spending your cash - the knowledge you gain now will be priceless later.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 02:00 AM   #5
Regular Crew

More Questions

Thanks guys.

Just more questions about capture cards. eg Kona & BM Extreme. They appear to be set up for BNC connectors and xlr imputs.

The Sony Z1P has a component out, but from the manual it appears that they are RCA connectors for a TV.

So given I don't use a deck, but use the camera as a deck -> I capture via firewire.

What function does say a BM card do? Does it facilitate the conversion of HDV to ProRes 422 -> I thought the software (FCP) did that.

Thanks again

Michael
Michael Lyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 02:01 AM   #6
Regular Crew

More Questions

Thanks guys.

Just more questions about capture cards. eg Kona & BM Extreme. They appear to be set up for BNC connectors and xlr imputs.

The Sony Z1P has a component out, but from the manual it appears that they are RCA connectors for a TV.

So given I don't use a deck, but use the camera as a deck -> I capture via firewire.

What function does say a BM card do? Does it facilitate the conversion of HDV to ProRes 422 -> I thought the software (FCP) did that.

Thanks again

Michael
Michael Lyas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite