DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 12th, 2008, 11:45 AM   #1
Major Player

Compressor - DOA

Hi guys I'm on a Mac OS X (10.4.11) Dual 2.7 G5 with 2.5 GB SDRAM. I'm running FCP 6.02.

Few days ago FCP starts up slow. I get a normal screen, but a beach ball for five minutes. Never like this before, like this ever since. Shut down, restarted - same thing. Once finally going it runs fine - but I have no Compressor anymore. Cant start Compressor from the doc, can't successfully click on a movie in the finder window and choose "Open with Compressor", and I can't export using Compressor because it's grayed out in the FCP export menu. From the doc the Compressor logo just bounces once and it's done.

I searched this forum and followed suggestions to repair disc permissions. I deleted the FCP preferences files, the .plf files (or .pilm or .flim or whatever I really can't remember exactly what it was called but I followed the instructions to a "T"). Then I uninstalled every Final Cut anything file I could find on this machine and reinstalled everything from scratch again. Still the exact same problem. When I reinstalled studio 2 I was back at version 6.0. Same problem. Then I updated everything and we're at 6.02. Same problem.

On the Mac I have 39 GIGs free. On my external hard drives I have 177 GIGs free. I am at a total loss here and would gladly pay someone, "Tuesday" for a hamburger today...

Anyone have ideas as to what I blew up?
Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 01:21 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quicktime?

One thing you haven't said is what version of Quicktime you have. If you upgraded to 7.4 that might be the cause. There was a lot of discussion on the Apple Final Cut Pro forum not too long ago about this. I'm still on 7.3 so haven't had issues, but 7.4 has caused a lot of problems.
Search the FCP forums and I'm sure you'll find the answer. You have to get back to QT 7.3

Ken
Ken Civian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 02:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Software Update

Try running software update. I did it yesterday and there were 2 new items. One was Quicktime 7.4.1 and the other was some kind of support for Pro Apple Applications (FCP, DVDSP etc.)
Troy Teuscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 03:05 PM   #4
Major Player

Wow that actually makes sense. I haven't been able to figure out what happened - or what I did to what - but now that you mention it I actually did do a recent quicktime update and since about then everything's been a mess in FCP. Thanks I'll go after that now.
Old February 12th, 2008, 04:20 PM   #5
Major Player

OK I got rid of 7.4.1 quicktime and installed 7.3 using Pacifist. Now FCP starts right up, like it used to. But I still can't get Compressor to start.

Thank you for the first part. At least I'm on one right track! Curious after reading through some of your suggestions. Sounds like a lot of people are having trouble with the new Quicktime.

I will investigate before I update next time.
Old February 13th, 2008, 08:08 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Yes, the Quicktime 7.4 update has caused tons of problems with pro apps. I usually wait before doing any of them until I'm reading some good news.
It seems like there was something else about the compressor problem, but I don't know the details.
FWIW, I have learned a lot from the Apple discussions and Ken Stone's site. Lot's of good info.
Old February 13th, 2008, 11:10 PM   #7
Major Player

Ultimately I had to do a complete ground up clean sweep on this mac. Only problem is now I'm back at FCP 5.1 because now apparently my paid-for FCP 6 upgrade's password is not jiving? I paid full pop for FCP HD a hundred years ago, then upgraded to FCP 5, then to FCP 6 - all legit, no problems before I did the clean sweep last night. Now I've got no FCP 6. BUT, compressor now works back on FCP 5 - with only the earlier Quicktime on the system (denied the update this time around). Hopefully I can get someone on the tele at Apple tomorrow to sort this password problem out...

Thanks for the knowledge!
Old February 14th, 2008, 11:40 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Upgrade fixed it

Eric, I had problems until I upgraded to QT 7.4.1 for Leopard and ProKit 4.5 Now everything works fine with my FCS 1.0 (FCP 5.14)
Old February 14th, 2008, 12:27 PM   #9
Major Player

Maybe that's my problem... I'm not leopard?
Old February 14th, 2008, 01:14 PM   #10
Regular Crew

My problems started when I upgraded to Leopard because it makes you upgrade your Quicktime. I don't think older versions of FCP like the newer versions of Quicktime. When I first upgraded to Leopard I couldn't use compressor or DVDSP. And FCP wouldn't recognize my camera. I had to use iMove to capture then import into FCP.

Now everything works fine after I did the most recent upgrades.
Old February 14th, 2008, 07:35 PM   #11
Major Player

OK so I went with the Leopard... I also started clean slate all over again. Something liberating about doing that.

Now FCP6 starts right, runs well, and even has compressor. Victory! And thank you guys for your time.

I tell you what though, I'm waiting for the next lunar exploration to return before I update Quicktime to 7.4 again. I managed to keep 7.3 throughout all the rebuilding. Noooooo thanks to that mess. I lost three days!
Old February 15th, 2008, 05:57 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Cool Eric. Glad to hear everything is running like a good Mac should.
Old February 15th, 2008, 07:57 PM   #13
Major Player

Yeah so was I...

Until I actually tried to compress a video today, rather than just see if I could open Compressor. Everything looked fine until I hit GO. Then it hit another dead end. Suggested I needed to check Compressor's installation, which I did, after re-installing everything all over again - and then I updated to 7.4.1 Quicktime. NOW IT'S COMPRESSING!!!!
Old February 15th, 2008, 09:11 PM   #14
Regular Crew

It's nice to see a story with a happy ending...

Nice going...

David
David McGiffert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 06:07 AM   #15
Regular Crew

yes I have the same problem ! I have tige 10.4.11, and after qt 7.4 compressor didn't work.

but how I turn back to 7.3 ?

thanks

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite