DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 6th, 2003, 02:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

MPEG 1 with FCP3

Greetings

I would like to make some VCD with my Mac using FCP3. I do not have a MPEG 1 export. How do you guys do this on the Mac? I really do not want to buy new software.

thanks
Marcus
www.katanapro.com
Marcus Farrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2003, 06:14 PM   #2
Warden

I use Toast or Cleaner. Have you looked at QuickTime to see if you can export to MPEG 1? I don't have QT Pro on my laptop so i can't check to see if it does.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2003, 10:18 PM   #3
New Boot

Mpeg

Hey Marcus,

Toast would be a good option, for sure. They include plugins that would work for iMovie or Final Cut Pro 3, so you can export even within the program. Quicktime Pro sorta works is exporting to mpeg as well, I believe. Didn't play on my VCD/DVD player, but could just be me. You're going to have to spend a little bit of money either way.
Nicky Loi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2003, 06:25 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Greetings

Everybody is talking about Toast. I guess I will get me a copy. It dose not cost much anyway. I have Quick Time Pro and there is no MPEG 1 export. I like the fact Toast has a plug in for FCP3 that makes it easy. I still think it is kind of odd that DVD Studio Pro 1.5 would not have a plug in for this, or FCP3 would not have this feature. I get the free upgrade to Studio Pro 2 so I will check to see if this was an addition.

thanks
www.katanapro.com
Old December 5th, 2003, 09:37 AM   #5
Regular Crew

How can I get my MPEG 1 files to work in DVD Studio Pro 1.5 I want to be able to use my video from FCP to make a VCD in Studio Pro. I have Toast 5 and the export it has is different from the one accepted in Studio Pro.
www.katanapro.com
Old December 5th, 2003, 03:03 PM   #6
Major Player

DVD SP only accepts mpeg2 AFAIK for DVD content .VCD's cannot be made within DVD SP . Toast is the way to go for VCD.Why not just make a DVD?
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2003, 04:20 PM   #7
Inner Circle

movie2mpeg will give you good quality MPEG1. It's free. I don't know how to author VCDs on a Mac though.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2003, 06:39 PM   #8
Regular Crew

The book says it will accept MPEG 1 files in DVD studio pro. Toast dose not make the format MPEG files that will go into DVD studio pro. You need .m1v files which I have on my PC . My question is if Studio Pro accepts MPEG 1 how do you make the files on a Mac.

I want to make cheep demo CD's that I can just hand out to people/clients to have examples of my work. I have a CD burner tower so I can make 8 CD at the same time at 52x. I can only make one DVD at a time and they cost a little more than a CD.

I have been loading all my updates into my Mac. I only use my PC's as a backup. It was so easy to make a VCD in DVDit with the export from Avid. You have got to be kidding me if this is not possible on a Mac.

How can a Mac person make a nice (DVD look) VCD. I have made plenty on my PC with DVDit a simple program. DVD Studio Pro is so much more advanced but how do I get my files together.

I just want to make some cheep demo VCD that will play on a PC/Mac or a DVD player. I want my client to just be able to pop it into the player. I want to have the freedom of menus and chapters just like I did on VCD in DVDit.

any ideas...
www.katanapro.com
Old December 5th, 2003, 06:58 PM   #9
Warden

Have you tried running the files through QuickTime Pro to do the conversion.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old December 5th, 2003, 09:35 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I have used QuickTime. It will not export MPEG 1 files in the .m1v format needed for DVD studio pro. The audio and video should be separate files just like MPEG2. I have done it on a PC. I guess I would not mind using Toast if I could use menus, chapters and buttons. The cool part of a VCD the way the template looks. I know that the MPEG 1 format is low quality but for what I want to do with this project it is OK.
www.katanapro.com
Old December 6th, 2003, 03:09 AM   #11
Warden

Toast has a feature called VCD exporter, have you tried using it to create an MPEG 1 file for import into DVDSP ? You may need to convert the audio to aiff. The Toast file may need to be demuxed in order for DVDSP to recognize it as a .m1v file. You can get bbDEMUX from Version Tracker.

You might need to use Cleaner to encode the correct MPEG 1 file.

Old December 6th, 2003, 11:58 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Cleaner's MPEG1 stinks. The free program "movie2mpeg" does a better job.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2003, 12:02 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Don't just tell us about it, tell us where to get it.
www.katanapro.com
Old December 6th, 2003, 02:10 PM   #14
Warden

You can find movie2mpeg here at Version Tracker. I think it only runs in OS 9. It is reported to be very slow and buggy. It is a beta software, version 0.1.X Use at your own risk. I would try the Toast exporter first.

Old December 6th, 2003, 03:57 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Has anyone here ever made a VCD with DVD studio pro and burned it to a CD. Thanks Jeff the bbDEMUX software worked for me and I got the MPEG 1 files into DVD studio Pro. Now I can't get the files to burn in DVD Studio Pro.
www.katanapro.com
Marcus Farrar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite