DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 17th, 2008, 04:04 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Can iMovie import avi files

I shot video footage and then captured using Scenalyser to an avi file. A friend would like to import the footage into iMovie (he also has Final Cut Express but doesn't use it much). iMovie will not import my avi files. Is there a way to do this?
Guy Shaddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 09:40 AM   #2
Regular Crew

There must be one FCP user or iMovie user that has got an avi file from a shooter that found a way to import it into an Apple machine?
Old December 29th, 2008, 12:09 PM   #3
Tourist

I use the AVI from my Canon g9

It works for me without any problems. What created this AVI?
Holland Gabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 12:38 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I created a Canopus avi file via a Firestore FSC DTE shot with a Canon XH-A1 with one set of files. Then I used Scenalyser to create another file from a DVC 30 camera. Neither works.
Old December 31st, 2008, 11:22 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I don't have any experience with imovie, but since Mac's usually prefer quicktime mov's you can try converting the file from avi to quicktime using a program like mpeg streamclip or DVFilm Maker.

Are these files already edited? You could just capture the A1 footage straight to the Mac probably through Imovie. Or use Scenalyser to make quicktime movies instead.

Best,
Andy
Old December 31st, 2008, 02:44 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Shaddock View Post
I created a Canopus avi file via a Firestore FSC DTE shot with a Canon XH-A1 with one set of files. Then I used Scenalyser to create another file from a DVC 30 camera. Neither works.
Guy,
Keep in mind that an .avi file is just a container, what's more important is what codec the video and audio are encoded in. iMovie can only load the .avi file if your system has the right codecs installed.

In this case, it looks like you told your Firestore to record in the Canopus codec, which is a proprietary codec used by older Canopus PC editing systems. Since they never made a version of this codec for Macs, iMovie can't decode the files. If you have access to a PC, you can download a free decode-only version of the Canopus codec (google for "canopus dv codec") and re-compress the files to a different codec, but in doing so you will lose a little quality due to the re-compression.

In the future, you should set your Firestore to record standard Microsoft DV .avi or .mov (QuickTime) files, which work fine in iMovie.
Jason Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 08:40 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I didn't realize that the Canopus codec is old for the older systems but it makes sense. I seem to remember that a previous poster said that he couldn't see the difference between the Canopus codec and the Microsoft. I checked my Firestore and it lists "AV1 type 1 and AVI Type 2". Looks like "Type 2" is the best to use.
Old December 31st, 2008, 09:44 PM   #8
Major Player

Using avi in Final Cut Pro I use a program called Flip4Mac. It allows you to play avi files in Quicktime. Telestream Products - Overview - free download.
Old December 31st, 2008, 10:01 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I've seen this before but isn't this program for Windows Media files only?.....not avi files?
Old January 1st, 2009, 08:42 AM   #10
Trustee

I edit AVI type 2 files all day long on a Mac no problems.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite