DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 26th, 2008, 09:11 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Final Cut Express, Moron and Capture settings

I am at my wits end. Santa Claus bought me an iMac and Final Cut Express. Oh Joy. However...

When I connect my Canon XH-A1 with firewire and click on capture: I get a window which shows the camcorder's output but nothing else. No info, no way to control the camcorder, nuthin'. I can't find any way to change this.

I've read the help files (Oh I hate "online" manuals Why can't they supply a book?) and am still none the wiser. I've ordered a "Final Cut for Retards" from Amazon but that'll take a while due to the holidays (Merry Christmas everyone, by the way).

Anyone know what idiotically simple mistake I have made?
Robin Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2008, 06:10 PM   #2
Major Player

From what I understand, the way FCE handles HDV (I'm a caveman happily living in the SD world) you don't get a preview when capturing and I'm pretty sure you don't get the regular clip selection options, I think you just get to capture the clip; this last part I'm not too sure of but I'm pretty sure you don't get the preview ... I'm sure people living in this century will chime in to correct me
Victor Kellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2008, 04:21 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Victor. Is this the case..? Anyone?
Robin Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 09:39 AM   #4
Regular Crew

have you looked at this:

Capturing HDV (1080i) Footage in Final Cut Express HD

this explains it quite simply.
Myself I have used FCE with an XH A1, but it's more than a year since I've switched to FCP... I don't remember the details of capturing anymore. But it does work, that's for sure.

Best,
Dino
Dino Leone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 06:12 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Dino, it explains it nicely. In the handbook there are only illustrations with a different "window" showing various recording options. Now I can see that you only have one view when digitizing hdv.

Thanks guys.
Robin Lambert is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite