DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 14th, 2009, 08:54 AM   #1
Major Player

Remapping overcranked video in FCP

I would like to remap an overcranked (slow motion) video clip so that it starts at regular speed and then goes into slow motion. I'd like to avoid any costly plugins like Twixtor, since the frames are there (don't need any blending). Anyone know an easy way to do this? Thanks.
Rob Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 10:28 AM   #2
Trustee

Quick overview, see the manuals for detailed explanation:
select clip, open Motion tab in canvas, select time remap,select variable speed, speeds you want as you move through clip are controlled by bezier handles on the time graph-- and frame blending is an option. / Hope this helps / Battle Vaughan /miamiherald.com video team
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 12:12 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the response Battle. It looks like FCP's time remap will not alter the duration of the clip, however. In my scenario, my clip should be shorter once remapped. I've seen a workaround (Time Remap - FCP 4, bottom of page) that involves having very long handles on either side of the clip that can be cut out after, but I don't have those kind of handles on this clip. Maybe I can put slug on either side and export as QT, giving me extra media on the clip. Will experiment.
Old April 14th, 2009, 12:48 PM   #4
Wrangler

Rob.

If you want the speed to instantly change without a ramp then just razor blade the clip and increase the speed of only the first part. This is a very common look.

If you want to ramp the speed from regular speed to slow-mo then time remap will have to be used.

If you overcranked at 60fps and you are working in 24P then 250% will bring it back to normal speed. Overcrank speed divided by base frame rate = speed percentage. 60/24=250
Old April 14th, 2009, 01:16 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Correct me if I'm wrong Tim, but if you bring 60P material into a 24P project in FCP, when you speed up the clip, don't you use frame blending based on the 24P material that has already "thrown away" the extra frames? My understanding from my experiment was that you'd have to use Cinema Tools (in this case on a duplicated clip so you can maintain 24P playback of the original clip) to change the playback rate of the "to be slowed down" clip to utilize all the available frames in the original clip.

Does this make any sense?
Old April 14th, 2009, 02:47 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks all. In my case I have done the slow motion in camera (EX1), so it's not really 60p--it's 24p recorded at 60p (or something like that, hopefully you know what I mean). It's in a 24p timeline in slow motion. I basically want to lose frames from the front of the clip, more than every other at first, and then progressively fewer as the clip proceeds. Does that make sense?
Old April 14th, 2009, 02:54 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Collins View Post
Thanks for the response Battle. It looks like FCP's time remap will not alter the duration of the clip, however. In my scenario, my clip should be shorter once remapped.
True, but the constant speed change option does change the duration. Maybe you can razor the clip at appropriate points and make individual constant speed pieces of them, changing speeds as appropriate...although this is off the top of my head and sounds like it might make a rough transition...but the manual suggests using frame blending to avoid a strobing effect when making slo-motion, and also to add motion blur to smooth out the jitter... I'm getting out of my experience zone here, so can only suggest experimenting with the tools; best wishes/ Battle Vaughan

Addendum: Ooops, I think Tim suggested the same thing, sorry, I blipped over his answer....
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2009, 06:03 AM   #8
Wrangler

Shaun.

I assumed Rob already had his clip conformed to 24P, either by way of Cinema Tools or in-camera. (I saw a pic of him holding an EX1 on his website.)

The Sony EX1, Sony EX3 and JVC HM700 can all overcrank 720p and write the file to XDCAM EX at 23.98fps.

This is how I did an ease-in speed ramp from fast to 100% speed with Time Remap and a single keyframe. I also included the alternative as a simple sudden speed change by just splitting the clip with the razor blade and changing the speed of the front bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Remapping overcranked video in FCP-speedramp.png   Remapping overcranked video in FCP-speedchange.png  

Remapping overcranked video in FCP-speedchange2.png  
Attached Files
File Type: mov Overcrank_Speed_Ramp_Test.mov (1.58 MB, 157 views)
File Type: mov Overcrank_Speed_Change_Test.mov (1.06 MB, 137 views)
Old April 15th, 2009, 06:56 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Rob and Tim: thanks for the clarification. Perhaps some day edit apps will be "smart" enough to use ALL the frames at their disposal automatically, regardless of what we conform them to in post.
Old April 16th, 2009, 05:52 AM   #10
Major Player

Tim, thanks so much for the help. I need to spend some time working on it.
Rob Collins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite