G5 problems? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 29th, 2004, 07:41 AM   #1
Regular Crew

G5 problems?

Need some advice. I've been considering buying a G5 for editing. After doing some research it seems that the G5's are having some problems. The problems include random freezes and bad fan noise. I also found out that many of the new Mac displays are having black out problems. I'd like to hear the thoughts about these issues from G5 users. Are you having these or any other problems? I'm still using a G3 and editing with Imovie and ready to move up to FCP.

Rich Sheikh
http://homepage.mac.com/richsheikh/Menu17.html
Rich Sheikh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2004, 10:49 AM   #2
Warden

We get random postings about troubles and I'm sure, like any product, there are some defects. Many people go to the Apple Support site and get confused at the number of troubles or problems being reported. I liken it to going to a hospital and being surprised at the number of sick people in a hospital.

The school I teach at, has had a G5 for about 4 or 5 months now. It has performed almost flawlessly since it's first start. Minor drive trouble, it had to be erased and the software and OS reinstalled.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2004, 12:22 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Fan Noise and Reliability

If you read all the horror stories about freezes and such you'll never buy another computer (read windows reviews).

The fan noise is related to one specific ATI video card fan, as far as I know.

The "issues" you read about are always to be taken lightly. The writer NEVER tells you he's been hacking, or has this or that extension installed, et al. Heck I installed the latest update from Apple and had no problems. If you go to MacFixit you'd think your machine is going to choke. I had absolutely no trouble.

I'd say go for it! Just do a little more research into the ATI Video Card fan noise issue, if that concerns you. I think it was the all-powerfull, super-duper model but, again, I'm not sure.
Joe Garnero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2004, 06:21 PM   #4
Major Player

I have a dual 2GHz G5 running FCP4 on Panther 10.3.2 and all is well. I would highly recommend this system, but I hear rumors that new revisions to the Power Mac line might be showing up in the next couple of weeks. ;)
Jaime Valles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2004, 04:51 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Jaime any idea when they will be coming out?
Old February 1st, 2004, 05:18 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I have a dual 1.8 and it's flawless. I have no problems. I can only recommend getting 2gigs or more of memory. The included 512mb wont get you anywhere except virtual memory. So make sure you do a good upgrade. You can get 512 simms now for $119 each. Don't buy them from Apple.

The only "issues" you will see are things that have to do with Panther. But it's always getting better. I don't have a Cinima display, only a 18.1inch Sony LCD which rocks by the way. I wouldn't have any say on the blackouts.
www.riverlightstudios.com
DVX100/Final Cut Pro 4/Mac G5 Dual 1.8
Mark Monciardini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2004, 09:29 PM   #7
Regular Crew

No Problems.

I have a refurbished single 1.8GHz G5 with additional 1GB of RAM from Crucial (www.crucial.com -- sorry, they aren't a DVINFO sponsor, but the ram is good) 512MB DDR PC3200 #CT359541 $84.99.

Yes, the fans speed up when real work is going on, but it's not too loud for me.

I'm using an Apple 17" LCD display. I waited a few weeks for Apple to announce the rumored new displays for the G5, but alas, I had work to do... No blackouts.
Old February 1st, 2004, 10:54 PM   #8
Regular Crew

G5 Comments

I have a dual 2 gig, G5 running on Panther's latest. No problem with fan noise. In fact, it is quieter than my previous dual 800. I am having boot up problems. It talkes 2 to 3 boots every time to get up and running. Have written Apple about it and had no answer. I've ran disk tools 4.0. I've reset the permissions. All to no avail.

I suspect the problem is with Panther rather than the hardware...but that is just a guess. Hopefully, it will clear up with the next software upgrade.

Despite all of the problems...the advantages of the G5 outweigh the problems. Just wish Apple was more responsive.
Old February 11th, 2004, 12:09 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I have a dual G5 and have experianced so far no problems. Switching to panther was painless. The fan is not that loud. When it is working hard it is noticeable, but it is a reasonable sound. Definately if you have the cash look into it. It is awesome.
Matt Concialdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2004, 12:34 PM   #10
Contributor

Consider most people only talk about their computers when they get into trouble with them... not when all is going well, which is most of the time.
Old February 13th, 2004, 12:13 AM   #11
Regular Crew

The G5 is a great machine. If you want top of the line wait for the revisions. Jobs said the dual 3 would come around a year from last June. That is still aways away but more revisions will come sooner than that.
James Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2004, 02:43 PM   #12
Regular Crew

My G5 Dual also had start-up problems. I had to start it 6-10 times before it would wake up every morning. The problem was only when the computer was started up from cold.
After replacing the video card (it was replaced by Apple) I have not had any problems at all.
I am running Panther / FCP and it works like a dream!
Old February 16th, 2004, 03:06 PM   #13
Major Player

G5 Audio Noise

I have an early dual 2GHz G5 and it great, except that its audio out is noisy. This is a know issue with the power supply and it is supposedly fixed in later revisions. Do a search at www.macfixit.com.

I am in the process of getting Apple to look at this issue.

The editing performance is otherwise terrific.
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite