DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 15th, 2004, 01:15 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Yea or nay burner question

Did a lot of looking on this site (fantiastic info) and I just want to know if I've misunderstood.

The Pioneer DVR-A06 will work with
(imovie 3.0.3), ( idvd 3.0.1) or studio pro.

I have a brand new G4 1 gig processor, I am running OS X 10.3

If I've read the posts correctly, I believe it should be ok, buy I just want to double check as I am very new to this computer thing.

Thanks
Joe
Old February 15th, 2004, 01:39 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Joe,
I recently installed a Pioneer DVR-A06 in my dual 1.25 G4 with 10.2.8 (you probably read a couple of my posts) and it works great. I've successfully burned cds and dvds with the Mac Disk Utility, Toast, and iDvd. From what I understand, any system with 10.2.6 or above can run the DVR-A06 no problem.
You may also want to try the DVR-A07. It just came out a couple weeks ago and has 8x dvd burning capabilities (A06 only has 4x). Check this thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=21142. The first post was about trouble with Windows and the burning software that comes with the drive, however other Windows users, and a few Mac users, have posted that it works great and will even burn 8x to the regular 4x dvd-r discs.
Old February 15th, 2004, 01:50 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Actually I would beware of the A07. I ended up taking it back because it kept reporting errors and refused to write the lead in and lead out on DVD+R discs. I was using Memorex 4x DVD+R discs. It wrote CDs just fine. Never tried writing to a DVD-R. I was using Toast with the burner, and Toast works with everything! I didn't try it with DVD Studio Pro because that is not how I prefer to burn the disc (it's the whole "fewer coasters" thing, kna mean?)
Ted Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2004, 05:18 PM   #4
Warden

I only use DVD-R and have no problem burning with the AO7. I also do not try burning at 8x with 4x media.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2004, 05:56 PM   #5
Regular Crew

It probably only has problems with DVD+R/W then. Isn't the + format supposed to have better error correcting during the burn?
Ted Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2004, 06:11 PM   #6
Warden

I've heard that also. Maybe the Mac software (Toast, Disk Copy Utility etc.) doesn't fully support the increased error protection (just a guess).

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2004, 07:30 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I bought an A06 for my G4 DP 800 a few months back. From DVDSP if I click "Build and Format" using 4x Apple DVD-Rs it will freeze up during burning or finishing the disk. If I use 2x Apple DVD-R it works fine.
To my knowledge you can't specify in DVDSP what speed to burn with, So now I have to build the DVD in DVDSP, then go to Toast and drag the VideoTS and Audio TS folders to Toast 5.0 and burn the DVD-R there specifying 2x burning.
I've been told Toast 5.0 has some 4x burning issues that Toast 6 has resolved. Anyone else had these problems?
Andrew Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2004, 11:36 PM   #8
Inner Circle

It might depend on the media and how compatible it is with your burner. http://www.dvdrhelp.com/forum/archive/t172496.html
One of the things the article says is that + and - media are about equal in compatibility, and that the difference in compatibility between the formats is neglible.

One recommendation for media are Ritek discs- "$1.08" each at meritline.com (never used meritline). http://www.meritline.com/hacochforrid.html That media should burn at 4X with the A05 and should be compatible with a lot of DVD players.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite