Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 26th, 2009, 07:38 PM   #91
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Glavan View Post
Still no firewire support for Color.

Still can't figure out why Apple won't add this simple feature for those of us who aren't made of money/shooting exclusively in HD.
Do you think there's a chance that it's not technically fast enough/feasible? Color taxes systems enough without having to maintain a proper MPEG2 transport stream out the FW port.
Old July 26th, 2009, 09:26 PM   #92
Trustee

Im pretty disapointed with the release, If it was released last year I can see it being a half hearted release but its been like 2 years and with all the progress Adobes making I was looking for something more earth shattering. It looks like a transistional release im pretty sure they will kill DVDSP in the next release like they did Livetype this time. I think they know its not that big thats why its so cheap, I wish I could try it before I upgrade with the apple smoke and mirrors in one line it looks like they added some stuff in another it doesnt ie native AVCHD editing. I wish they would release these 100 new features in a easy to see page instead of putting into a doc with the existing features.
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2009, 09:40 PM   #93
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Weaver View Post
Do you think there's a chance that it's not technically fast enough/feasible? Color taxes systems enough without having to maintain a proper MPEG2 transport stream out the FW port.
I have the MXO2 and it works great with Color 1.4. Now there's the MXO2 mini for around $600. For about $2K you could have a real progressive 1 to 1 pixel Plasma that can be color "calibrated" for color correction.

It works great. I realize this has noting to do with the latest release of FCS but I wouldn't use the fact that you can't push video down firewire from color stop you from upgrading.

Its not clear to me, now that we can "Send to" Compressor from FCP7 does that mean that I can use Qmaster and render a FCP7 project over multiple CPU's? There's a bit of confusion about this. At least I'm confused...
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2009, 01:25 AM   #94
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot View Post
Does the upgrade come with a new serial number or do I simply use the serial number that came with FCS2?
I only ask because with some software such as Adobe Suite, the upgrade installer looks for a previous install of the Adobe software.
If FCS3 looks for a previous install of FCS2, and it's been removed from my system before I install FCS3 then there could be install issues. Just checking...
FCS3 comes with a new serial number. But if you deinstall FCS2 before installing FCS3, FCS3 will ask you also your original FCS serial number.
Old July 27th, 2009, 03:35 AM   #95
Regular Crew

If I upgrade can I still open my final cut 6 projects in the new final cut?
Dana Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2009, 05:23 AM   #96
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Johnson View Post
It looks like a transistional release im pretty sure they will kill DVDSP in the next release like they did Livetype this time.
Is Livetype no longer in the suite?
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2009, 05:33 AM   #97
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier View Post
Is Livetype no longer in the suite?
Nope, and we shouldn't be surprised as the writing was on the wall for some time that we should look to Motion to do what LiveType did.

Hence the interesting non-update to DVD Studio Pro.

But then I wonder if the move from 7.0 to 7.1 will be a biggie, the one that would be Snow Leopard only and may require surrendering of install disks like the 5.0 to 5.1 did.

Having said that, I'm STILL waiting for the install disks, so can't contemplate/comment on just how Compressor could begin to do what DVDSP does.

I could believe DVDSP's non BR could be down to legal wrangles about licenses (i.e. Apple doesn't like the financial/legal deal to 'author' proper BR disks and doesn't want to ship a distinctly 'amateur' way of doing BD-R disks only). I really don't want to believe that DVDSP can't do BD.

So maybe the DVDSP update to BluRay is waiting in the wings for a breakthrough on legally allowing BD authoring for the masses without the possibility of copying BD restricted content.

Oh, and as for 'waiting two years for such a minor update' - again, I'm hoping on this being the 'last' iteration of FCP for systems pre-Snow Leopard. It's already cut out all the PPC owners, so here's Apple throwing the rest of us a bone before clamping down on everyone to get us to SL and the latest and greatest.
Old July 27th, 2009, 07:16 AM   #98
MPS Digital Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Rice View Post
If I upgrade can I still open my final cut 6 projects in the new final cut?
Absolutely! You just can't open an FCP 7 project in an older version of FCP, given the history.

Heath
Old July 27th, 2009, 07:34 AM   #99
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronan Fournier View Post
FCS3 comes with a new serial number. But if you deinstall FCS2 before installing FCS3, FCS3 will ask you also your original FCS serial number.
So I should install the upgrade first, then I should be able to uninstall FCS2?

If so, would I ab able to use FCS Remover and remove FCS2 only? I was wondering if this might effect some functions of FCS3. If so, then I would rather remove FCS2 first before install. I don't care about having to input the original FCS2 serial number as well as the new one. Just a little extra work required on my end.

Once running on FCS3, I don't see the need to have 2 instances of FCS taking up valuable hard drive space, especially on a laptop.
Old July 27th, 2009, 07:47 AM   #100
Trustee

Quote:
So I should install the upgrade first, then I should be able to uninstall FCS2?
The canonical method is to note your serial numbers, current and past, back up your system, copy out your plug-ins, presets, custom settings and so on, then thoroughly uninstall Final Cut Studio with assistance from an app such as FCP Uninstaller:

FCS Remover - Uninstall Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro, Motion, Compressor, Soundtrack Pro, Color, DVD Studio Pro, LiveType, Cinema Tools

Then do a full install again, with a repair permissions just for good measure.

Which kinda redefines 'canonical' I know, but through the pain and botheration of previous experience, that's how most of us do it.

Cheating it last time lead to problems with Compressor not running properly, or DVD Studio Pro popping up mysterious helper apps (benign but freaks out many people), or Cinema Tools crashing, or SoundTrack Pro being unstable - though there's a school of thought that says STP is by its very nature unstable.

So it's like upgrading a swimming pool rather than a car: dig the old one out first.

If you need to have two systems for whatever reason, consider building a boot drive and have the new version on there to 'play with'. When you feel happy, then go through above to 'switch'

Quote:
I don't care about having to input the original FCS2 serial number as well as the new one. Just a little extra work required on my end.
IIRC, I have to put in several Serial Numbers, as I started out with 1.x and most serial numbers are 'Upgrade' Serials, so the installer asks me to go further and further back in time until I get to the original. Just part of the joy of upgrading I guess.
Old July 27th, 2009, 09:24 AM   #101
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Johnson View Post
It looks like a transistional release im pretty sure they will kill DVDSP in the next release like they did Livetype this time.
Is there a way to leave Live Type on my system without having FCS2 installed?
I tried to do an uninstall of FCS2, using FCS Remover, and selected all of the FCS2 applications, except for Live Type which I unchecked.

I then I installed FCS3.

After I restarted and launched Live Type, I was asked for serial number information, which didn't seem to work, as I was told that the serial number for FCS2 was invalid. However the serial number for FCS2 was a valid license.

Anyone have any ideas...

I still use Live Type and have only played around in Motion a little bit. Live Type is so much easier to perform title animation than Motion, which is why I wanted to leave it on my system.
Old July 27th, 2009, 01:18 PM   #102
Regular Crew

I want to get this straight before I go ahead and spend the money for the new Final Cut Studio.

I have the Final Cut Studio 2 Academic version that I purchased through Penn State. Now I read somewhere earlier in this thread that I can not buy and use the upgrade version? Instead I must purchase the full version?

Chris
Chris Leffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2009, 01:25 PM   #103
MPS Digital Studios

That is correct--if you buy Academic Versions, you cannot upgrade at all. I had a friend who did that with FCS 1 and never did it again when he tried to upgrade to FCS 2.

Heath
Old July 27th, 2009, 01:53 PM   #104
Regular Crew

Thanks for the quick reply! I can't decide if I should just upgrade to a non academic version.
Chris Leffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2009, 01:59 PM   #105
MPS Digital Studios

Don't--go with full version. I think they recently raised prices on Academic Versions to $899 (if I'm not mistaken) and the full version of FCS dropped the price to $999.

Heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite