The NEW Final Cut Studio announced today! - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 23rd, 2009, 02:20 PM   #46
MPS Digital Studios

I think Jeff said it best why the new features make it a worthwhile upgrade.

Heath
Old July 23rd, 2009, 02:39 PM   #47
Major Player

Well I like what I see so far. I wonder if it's wise or safe to upgrade to FCP7 from FCP6 while I am still working on a project.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 02:43 PM   #48
MPS Digital Studios

Though I've had less troubles doing FCP and OS X upgrades than in the past, I wouldn't risk doing a full version FCP or OS X upgrade while in the middle of a project. Check this out:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/non-linea...ur-system.html

Heath
Old July 23rd, 2009, 04:04 PM   #49
Major Player

Final Cut 7 is out

You can go to the Apple site right now and buy it.

Which makes me furious, because well, consider this....

Taking the plunge and switching from PC to Mac, I bought a new Intel MacPro and a 24" iMac in December. I also bought a 15" MacBook Pro just last month. When I bought the first two machines, I purchased I-life or I-Work or something like that. One month later Apple is nagging me to upgrade to the newer version, which was released three weeks after I bought the previous version.

Anyway, initially I bought Final Cut Express to get used to it, and then a month ago I bought Final Cut Studio 2. When I did, I told the salesman I was considering waiting until the '09 version came out. He told me no one really expected it to come out until after Snow Leopard comes out, and at that it's not definite. So I coughed up the $1,200.00.

Now, a month later, Apple wants $299.00 to upgrade.

When I called Apple to complain a few minutes ago, the sales guy said there's nothing he can do. So I asked for a supervisor and got one. He told me he'd give me $30 off the $299.00 upgrade, but that's it, because I bought the software from a third-party retailer (Midtown Video in Miami), not from Apple directly.

My rant. Thanks for listening.

BTW: Jesse at Midtown VIdeo is trying to get Apple to be less anal about this. I can tell you he's been very helpful with every purchase I've ever made from them in the past; so I hope he is this time, too.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 04:19 PM   #50
Trustee

I like the speed change improvements. I wonder if I will be now able to do all my slow motion and speed ramps inside FCP instead of having to export to Shake.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 04:38 PM   #51
Trustee

Don't suppose anyone else noticed the supposed native file format editing?
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 04:56 PM   #52
Tourist

I like that new round tripping with Color. Keeps it simple.
Andrew Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 05:41 PM   #53
Trustee

Anyone see anything wrong, morally or otherwise, with buying Final Cut Pro 3 or 4 from ebay on the cheap, then using it to get the Final Cut Studio 3 upgrade package?

As long as its an official retail package it should work, right? New Intel machines will run the old PPC program as far as I know.

I have the FCS2 academic package, so updates are off limits for me.

Comments? Will it work?
Old July 23rd, 2009, 06:26 PM   #54
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Haustein View Post
Anyone see anything wrong, morally or otherwise, with buying Final Cut Pro 3 or 4 from ebay on the cheap, then using it to get the Final Cut Studio 3 upgrade package?

As long as its an official retail package it should work, right? New Intel machines will run the old PPC program as far as I know.

I have the FCS2 academic package, so updates are off limits for me.

Comments? Will it work?
I see that as being a financially sound plan. Go for it as long as the copy you're getting is legit.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 07:42 PM   #55
MPS Digital Studios

I had to buy Motion used years ago to get FCS 1. It was a legit purchase but I never used that one. That was when you had to have all the apps to upgrade to FCS 1.

Heath
Old July 23rd, 2009, 08:17 PM   #56
Major Player

Just got shipping confirmation, mine will be here in the morning (provided there are no hiccups).

Yes, it's mostly incremental, but the upgrades to motion and the FCP updates will all make my life easier and less reliant on 3rd party plugins. When FCP goes wonky and I have to trash prefs and stop using all my add-ons and such it really slows me down. This will alleviate some of the issues.

Migrating from Vegas I gave up a ton of functionality, this regains some of it.

I still expect a far more iMovie/Vegas like evolution of FCP in less than 2 years.
Kevin James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 08:23 PM   #57
Major Player

I was just reading that you can burn Blu-ray discs not only out of Compressor but from FCP as well. No specifics though.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 08:29 PM   #58
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Stone View Post
I was just reading that you can burn Blu-ray discs not only out of Compressor but from FCP as well. No specifics though.

Check out the training video (output to Blu-ray)...

Ripple Training
Danny Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 12:01 AM   #59
Regular Crew

As a new user, I'm just starting the FCS long learning curve of knowledge. Just learning rip/roll, slip/slide tools (hehehe, do you remember your first time?).

I've paid 1200 € few weeks ago the complete suite & this new actualization cost around 300 (I want to die!).

As I have not to enjoy properly the new features as my newbie eye and poor workflow in practice could profit, may ask you guys:

Make sense await to Snow Leopard and a possible complete upgrade (not actualization, maybe 64, full Intel, etc...) properly & save money?
Juan Todoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 12:35 AM   #60
Major Player

there's usually a 14 money back option if you bought direct from Apple ... if you're within that period then go for the refund, and buy the new FCS 2009 instead ... if not then I would recommend waiting as there is already so much for you to learn in FCS2.

best
Andy
Andy Mees is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite