DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2004 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/24621-nle-mac-final-cut-questions-2004-a.html)

Neo Castillo January 29th, 2004 05:23 PM

Try this

This might not be the only answer, but it was the first thing that came to mind. Save the sequence as a offlinert the recapture all thee needed file from the source tapes. It will take less work on your part. Just like RONCO, Set It and Forget It.

Neo Castillo January 29th, 2004 07:30 PM

Wide Screen in FCP4

I was wondering if anyone knows a way to export a finished movie so that it is cropped in 16:9, or whatever aspect ratio i choose, instead of using the "black bars" option? And if someone does, could you let me know how much i would have to crop for the the populat formats like 16:9 or "theatrical"?

J. Clayton Stansberry January 29th, 2004 08:18 PM

Blurry? Loss of Quality?

I have been working on a project which consists mostly of scanned articles and pictures. When I stop the video, and look on my monitor (regular TV) everything is extremely clear and readable. However, when I hit the ol' space bar, the picture or article looses quality, severly. The articles are unreadable and the pictures look a little blurry. I am running FCP 4 on a dual G5 out to my DV camcorder to my VCR which goes to the TV. I can't figure out if I am not doing something in FCP or there is just a loss in quality from the computer through the other peripherals to the TV? Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance...

Clay

Jeff Donald January 29th, 2004 08:30 PM

I think you're seeing the difference between interlaced and non-interlaced images. You could also be having a resolution issue. It sounds like you created the images with a scanner. You might want to check this tutorial for help with your project.

Marco Leavitt January 29th, 2004 09:31 PM

I've noticed this too with scanned images. I've always wondered why there would be a difference. Interlaced or not, a still image is a still image, isn't it?

Nicholi Brossia January 29th, 2004 09:38 PM

I am unsure of exactly what you're exporting to, but it sounds like you're trying to create a .mov with Quicktime. One approach would be to change the overall dimensions rather than cropping. This would be similar to anamorphic in that the edited video would be stretched vertically on the 4:3 frame. However, when exporting, you could "unstretch" the video the 16:9 size of your choice.
If you've cropped the frame in FCP to look like 16:9, just stretch the video vertically to fill the entire frame or until the black disappears. This result can then be exported as an 855x480 file (or any other variation of 16:9), which will create a proportioned 16:9 ratio video.
For future calculations, multiply your desired height by 1.78 to get the proportionate 16:9 width.

Stefano Sarfati Nahmad January 30th, 2004 04:34 AM

4 channel sound with FCP

Hello everybody,
My Canon Xl1s supports 4 channels sound recording.
Does Final Cut Pro support that? does i t take any special hw on the mac?
Thanks, Stefano

Jeff Donald January 30th, 2004 06:53 AM

FCP 4 can record 4 channels of audio. You can change from 2 channel to 4 channel audio in the capture preferences. However, XL1 4 channel audio is of significantly lower quality.

Rob Lohman January 30th, 2004 08:24 AM

That is usually the sign of bad drivers for the audio card you
are using [whether it's builtin, a card or an external device as in
your case]. Try to get the latest drivers or otherwise it might be
time to get another card.

J. Clayton Stansberry January 30th, 2004 11:39 AM

Well, I still don't understand it all. I also thought it was a resolution issue, so I got the camcorder out and shot the articles that way. There is better resolution this way, but there is still loss of quality (resolution) when it is played as oppossed to when it is stopped, and I just can't figure it out. Anyone?

Joe Gioielli January 30th, 2004 05:23 PM

Finally going in...

OK, I'm leaving the PC world behind and stepping up tp Apple and FCP. I'm even going to get real honest to goodness education.

What I need is some advice regarding Apple resellers. I need to save as much as much as I can on the hard/software.

If I used an older FCP, say 2 or 3, would that allow me to use an "older" (G3) machine?

I realize that if I do that I will have to up grade much sooner than later, but at the moment I really need to just get in the game.

I would really like your thoughts on this.
Esp. if you think I'd be makeing a mistake.

THX
Joe

Christopher C. Murphy January 30th, 2004 05:39 PM

Just get a new iMac or eMac and get a copy of Final Cut Express.

You'll have the latest Apple hardware which includes a DVD burner, Panther OSX and most of Final Cut Pro features - it'll cost you MUCH less...and when you go to upgrade you'll be able to re-sell that stuff for much more.

Trust me, it's better to have this stuff than an older G3 with FCP 3.

Murph

Boyd Ostroff January 30th, 2004 06:08 PM

While it will probably run on a G3 (see another thread on this topic here), I'd say to get something with a G4 processor. You can still get a new G4 tower with a single 1.25ghz processor for $1,300. Used g4's are even cheaper. If at all possible consider this path since it will give you better expansion capabilities and speed. I think your introduction to the Mac would be frustrating if you buy too slow of a system.

Jeff Donald January 30th, 2004 06:10 PM

G3's are really only acceptable for iMovie. Any renders from FCP on a G3 will seem like forever. I would recommend a G4 also.

Jeff Donald January 30th, 2004 06:30 PM

How are you viewing this? Passing the signal through all those components will result in some loss of quality. But the loss would exist in pause or play. I suspect your seeing a difference in display methods between play and pause. I would record the signal to tape (DV) and play it directly into your TV. Try the same pause play experiment and it should be a little better. But many devices display a freeze frame from a digital frame buffer when paused. This helps the apparent resolution and images may appear sharper.