Lumiere HD workflow - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 4th, 2006, 03:39 PM   #136
Regular Crew

Lumiere will not capture 720 24p from HD100

Trying to capture music video footage at 24 p.
Using Lumiere 1.6 6b, but it won;t capture. The Lumiere doesn't even recognize the camera. WTF?

Who else has had this problem?
How did you solve this problem?

I previously captured 1 clip, with Lumiere then went to FCP to see the result.
Then the troubled started.

Thanks,

Ed Hill & Aaron Lynch
ed@highlydef.com
Ed Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2006, 08:25 AM   #137
Wrangler

Don't run FCP and Lumiere HD at the same time. You can only have one program accessing the firewire HDV protocol at a time.
Also, make sure the camera is in VTR mode. I have tested 1.6b6 and it is the only version that seems to work as advertised front to back.
Old April 6th, 2006, 08:27 AM   #138
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Neuman
i just purchased and dowloaded the latest beta of lumiere hd.
i follow the workflow exactly like stated on the lumhd forum. everything work fine just that the final mov and or the imorted m2v files are way faster than the original. the sound is perfect and has the right speed.

we shoot on the jvc GY-HD100 and i us it to capture. we shoot on hdv 24p.
this is ment to be blown up onto 35mm so i need to stick to 24fps.

what am i doing wrong?

tank u so much for ur help
Maybe you used 29.97 instead of 23.98 when you converted to quicktime format? I've tested the 720P24 workflow with the HD100 and it seems to work fine.
Old May 28th, 2006, 07:56 AM   #139
Regular Crew

HD100 clips playing REALLY fast...

Using Lumiere, follow instructions....
any reason why my clips are playing really, really fast and not regular speed?

Thanks
DJ Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2006, 09:15 PM   #140
Regular Crew

Oh, problem solved.... beta version 1.6b
DJ Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 12:57 AM   #141
Tourist

does Lumiere give you timecode?

when you capture 720 24P from the HD100 does the quicktime file give you the same timecode off of the tape? i've tried HDVxDV but it isn't giving me accurate timecode.
Jerad Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2006, 09:40 AM   #142
New Boot

audio out of sync

I have followed the directions from the online tutorial to get my Z1 footage into FCP with Lumiere, and find that the audio and video are out of sync. At the beginning of a 5 minute clip, the audio is out by 24 frames and at the end of the same 5 minute clip the audio is out by 30 frames.

Demuxing in Lumiere results in an m2v and an aif of slightly different lengths. Demuxing in MPEG Streamclip results in m2v and aif files of exactly the same length.

I am using DV/DVCPRO-NTSC @ 29.97 with audio set to 48KHz for the timeline codec.

Any thoughts on how to remedy this?

Thanks.

Last edited by Dean Steinmann; July 3rd, 2006 at 11:42 AM.
Dean Steinmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 08:33 PM   #143
Regular Crew

Lumiere HD problem with "DESTINATION" folder and m2t Files Only 4KB

The capture process seems fine but when I demultiplex the files which seems to do very fast, the m2v files are equally small and I can't convert them to movs or do anything with them. Lumiere does not crash on me throughout this process.

After I demultiplex the files (which turn out to be 4kb) I am having problems with encoding my raw files (from HD100) into the XML files I can import through FCP5.

I followed all the steps correctly the other day according to this manual posted on lumiere forum (http://www.lumierehd.com/forums/arch...php?t-579.html) and was able to encode all files properly and import them into FCP5. Then I no longer needed those files and I deleted the Video, Audio, REALTIMES, folders where I housed previous files.

I tried to repeat the same procedure today, created all new folders, but this time Lumiere does something weird. I did everything correctly, demultiplexed the files and then when I went to the final steps 11 through 20 (http://www.lumierehd.com/forums/arch...php?t-579.html) and hit GO it didn't do anything... a window poped up saying STARTED but then a second later the window disappeared and the destination folder I had selected also diappeared. I hit GO the second time, and this time another window popped up saying I should select the destination folder, which I did again. Again, I hit GO and window popped up saying STARTED (encoding I presume), but it disappeared as well and automatically de-selected the destination folder.

What is the problem? can someone help me? Please... I am really disappointed having switched from PC where cineform used to do magic compared to Lumiere. Lumiere has no batch processing, no scene detection, on top of everything I have a project due tomorrow and now have to pray that someone knows whats going on and can help.

Thank you

Last edited by Rati Oneli; July 11th, 2006 at 09:46 PM. Reason: additional info
Rati Oneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 08:50 PM   #144
Regular Crew

RAW Footage size of HD100 imported with Lumiere

Hi, I've been importing raw footage (M2T) from my HD100 into my G5. So far, I've imported almsot three hours worth of footage and just realized that the size of the imported footage is not that big... As, far as I know when you import one hour of regular DV footage for editing it takes up around 13 gb of space. Shouldn't HDV have larger m/bit per second transfer rate than DV and in theory be larger in size?

I imported two and half tapes (under three hours) into my computer and combined size of the footage file is 19 gb. I am really concerned that I did something wrong with settings on Lumiere (or even worse on camera, which I doubt) and that now I have three hours of footage with compromised quality.

Can someone clarify?

Thank you in advance
Old July 11th, 2006, 09:26 PM   #145
Major Player

Actually, the HDV format can accommodate up to a 1440x1080 frame size and has same maximum data throughput as standard definition DV--which is 25 megabits per second. But, you are shooting with the JVC HD100 which has a reduced frame size of 1280x720. If I recall correctly, this results in a reduction in maximum data throughput to about 19 megabits per second.

Remember, data rates are in megabits per second. There are 8 bits per byte. So, if you have 3 hours of HDV tape shot with your JVC, the maximum combined file size of your captured footage should be about 25.65 GB (gigabytes).

You say that you have about 19 GB of captured footage. That would mean you have about 133 minutes of raw footage. Are you sure that you have two full tapes plus a third that is half full?

The fact remains, though, HDV does not have a higher data rate than DV.
Old July 11th, 2006, 09:33 PM   #146
Regular Crew

Thanks

Jeff thank you for your reply. It clarifes things a bit and helps me calm down as well.

I had three tapes, and none of them was fully used... In total, I most likely transferred about 2.5 hours of footage... now that I think about it - maybe even a bit less than that. So, according to you this is pretty much what I should have in the end anyway.

Actually, it was very dumb from me to ask about higher bit rates from HDV vs DV since they are both on the same DV tape :) But, my question was: since DV footage is around 13GB per hour, then why is my footage less if they are supposed to have same transfer rates?
Old July 11th, 2006, 09:38 PM   #147
Major Player

I appreciate and understand your confusion--and concern!

The lower data rate of the JVC (19 megabits/sec) means that it does not quite equal what you would expect from an hour of DV footage captured at 25 mbits/sec.
Old July 11th, 2006, 09:39 PM   #148
Regular Crew

So is it normal, or should I worry about it?
Old July 11th, 2006, 09:51 PM   #149
Major Player

From the information you provided, I would say you have nothing to worry about.
Old July 11th, 2006, 09:53 PM   #150
Regular Crew

Thank You!!!
Rati Oneli is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite