Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 29th, 2006, 07:14 PM   #166
New Boot

similar problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Sabourin
Everytime I import a whole 63 minute tape of footage into Lumiere HD, it seems to import it all fine. But after I"m done demultiplexing it and finally getting into an FCP XML file. It cuts the vidoe only off on every tape at exactly 31 minutes 15 seconds into the tape. The whole 63 minutes of audio is still there, and I hvae to end up going back and re-importing the last half of the tape... can anybody help me?

kevin
I'm having the samelr problem but not on all tapes, but when it does happen it's always at the same 31 minute and 17 second mark into the clip. Has anyone figured this out?

Last edited by James Fortier; August 29th, 2006 at 08:43 PM.
James Fortier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2006, 07:15 PM   #167
New Boot

some .m2v clips are missing some video

I just spent all day converting my Realtime .mov files to .m2v files following all the workflow steps listed on this forum and when I went to check the files some of them, not all, some of them are corrupted with the video going black at some point in the file, yet audio continues on. I got a little suspcious when I saw that file size for these .m2v files should have been larger, low and behold it was becasue some of the video is missing. Does anyone know why this happens? How do I fix this? Do I go back and recapture from the begining where the video from these clips drops out, or can I go back and repeat steps in the LHD process after capturing the original footage. Also, after reading another post with a similar problem I went back and checked my faulty clips and sure enough the video drops out at exactly 31 min and 17 seconds into the faulty clips.

Last edited by James Fortier; August 29th, 2006 at 08:41 PM.
Old August 29th, 2006, 07:16 PM   #168
New Boot

JVC HD P{ro Deck Device Control Issues

Device control for my JVC HDPro VTR worked fine in LHD for capturing, but in FCP 5 (after following all the HDV 720p/24p workflow steps losted here) I can't get the JVC HD Pro VTR to show up in my list of Devices via Firewire. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what's the solution.
Old August 30th, 2006, 01:15 AM   #169
New Boot

Use Mpeg Streamclip.
Lumiere advises to capture sements no longer than 20 minutes due to a quicktime/mpeg bug. I think the bug is in the lumiere software. Using Mpeg streamclip less problems occur. Ask for repayment of your Lumiere account.
Han Savelkoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 08:38 AM   #170
New Boot

Where do they advise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Savelkoel
Use Mpeg Streamclip.
Lumiere advises to capture sements no longer than 20 minutes due to a quicktime/mpeg bug. I think the bug is in the lumiere software. Using Mpeg streamclip less problems occur. Ask for repayment of your Lumiere account.
It's not on their website as far as I can see, nor in their manual. I'm very disappointed in LHD. They have zero customer support, and the silence on this forum is deafening. I'll be asking for my money back soon if they can't provide some ansewers real quick.
Old September 29th, 2006, 02:17 PM   #171
New Boot

Switching From Lumiere to FCP 5.1.2 Capturing

So I'm about half way done with the rough cut of my current documentary and I have been using Lumiere HD successfully, albeit with many rough patches along the way. Now that I have FCP 5.1.2 installed I would love to abandon using Lumiere to capture becasue of the added time and additional drive space necessary for all those additional files. Has anyone tried switching to FCP 5.1.2 for logging and capturing in the middle of an edit started with LHD? If so, is this even possible, and if it is, how will the workflow change. I attempted to bring in some new footage into the existing (LHD) project using FCP 5.1.2 and encountered the following issues:

1. It appears that when capturing HDV 720/24p footage with FCP 5.1.2 there is no longer the familiar log and capture window. Instead, just a small window where you can give your clip a title, and then click on capture.

2. It appears there's no way to capture the HDV footage at half resolution (720x480) for offline quality and drive space considerations. The HDV 720/24p to Apple Intermediate Codec is locked and it appears there is no way to duplicate it and then customize the resolution size like I was able to do when using LHD. What ends up happening then is that I will have clips with two different resolutions in the same sequence, the Lumiere AIC clips are 720x480 and the clips captured directly through FCP will be 1280x720. I realize that once I'm ready to online and I reconnect the Lumiere AIC clips to their original 1280x720 "master" sources, that everything will be full 1280x720, but having two resolutions in the same rough cut sequence is a little weird. Because the sequence setting is 720x480, the new FCP captured clips are being reduced to about 56% automatically when I bring them into the sequence timeline which means they need to be rendered every time I move them around.

3. For some reason the footage coming in via FCP 5.1.2 HDV 720/24p to AIC has a frame rate of 59.94 fps instead of 23.98 fps, so when I drop them into the AIC sequence (23.98) they are playing at about 2x speed.
Old November 25th, 2006, 10:14 AM   #172
Regular Crew

Help with export settings/FCP

I've got FCP (latest version) and some 1080i/60 footage from a Canon XH-A1 crudely slapped together- about two minutes worth, no sound. I created an MP4 file that came out to an amazing 6.7mb- of course it showed serious compression artifacts but still impressive considering. Now I'd like to create a file that stresses quality not compression- can someone recommend settings for that? Thanks!
Greg Rothschild is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite