DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Re-timing 50P (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/402831-re-timing-50p.html)

Gavin Rawlings September 15th, 2009 10:12 PM

Re-timing 50P

Hey all

I have a collection of footage that I wish to edit and upload onto the net. The problem I'm having is mixing frame rates. I have footage shot at 50P and other footage shot at 25P. I want to get my final export out at 25P. Anyone know of any useful tools that I can use to re-time the 50P footage to 25P? The reason I say re-time is because I don't want the 50P footage just be be conformed to slow motion....

Cheers

Robert Lane September 15th, 2009 11:32 PM

If you've got Final Cut Studio then use Compressor. If not MPEG Streamclip *might* be able to make a retimed encode but I've never used it for such an operation.

Gavin Rawlings September 16th, 2009 08:15 AM

Sorry Robert I'm not in front of my editing machine at the moment. Is it a hard process using Compressor?

Robert Lane September 16th, 2009 09:21 PM

Nope, not hard at all just not obvious if you're not familiar with frame-rate conversions.

You didn't mention what format the clips are in; give me that and I'll give you a walkthrough on how to convert the footage.

Gavin Rawlings September 16th, 2009 10:22 PM

That would be great thanks Robert! :)

The clips are re-wrapped XDCAM EX files in .mov. I also have the original .mp4's if that's better for compressor?

Cheers

Robert Lane September 17th, 2009 10:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
So here's all you need do:

First, make sure your sequence settings for your editing is in the XDCAM 1080p25 preset because that's what you want to be editing in.

Open the Compressor preset for XDCAM 1080p25 and copy that setting so you can make changes. Open the "Frame Controls" tab and turn on the controls.

Because XDCAM 1080-50 is interlaced you'll have to both de-interlace to get to 25p and retime the clips.

Set the Deinterlace to Best, and Rate Conversion to "so source frames play at 25 fps". That's it.

Beware: this will take some time to process so depending on the length and how many clips you have this could take a long time to make the conversions, but it will yield the best results.

Gavin Rawlings September 17th, 2009 04:38 PM

Great! Thanks for that Robert. I'll give that a go and let you know how I go :)

Andy Mees September 17th, 2009 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Lane (Post 1364648)
Because XDCAM 1080-50 is interlaced you'll have to both de-interlace to get to 25p and retime the clips.

Just to note that given the info posted beforehand, it seems likely that the OP's source format is actually XDCAM EX 720p50 ie not 1080 and not interlaced.

Gavin, I think you need to post the specific details of your source before you can expect foolproof advice on this, but assuming it is 720p50 then you can still follow Roberts advice except that you'll have to work a little bit harder ... choose the XDCAM 1080p25 preset in Compressor as before, but then in the Inspector window's Encoder tab you need to click the Video Settings... button and choose Compression Type: XDCAM EX 720p25, then in the Frame Controls tab you can leave the Resizing Controls at default (as these will not be used), but you still enable the Retiming Controls "so source frames play at source". If this is a conversion you might be likely to need again then I'd suggest you also save this as a custom preset.

Hope it helps
Andy

Gavin Rawlings September 18th, 2009 05:36 PM

Actually I did end up having a bit of trouble using compressor as I am not to familiar with it so I used After Effects and got it working fine.

Thank you both for your help guys :)