DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 28th, 2009, 06:56 AM   #1
Major Player

Getting decent still images from FCP?

I was the lone cameraman on a reality documentary project, and so wasn't in a great position to also do stills work at the same time. The project was shot in HDV (Sony V1U) and so the footage has the horizontal resolution issues associated with HDV. I'm wondering whether anyone here has any tips for getting good stills from this kind of footage, apart from just using the export functionality from FCP. I'm pretty sure I've seen some dedicated software for exporting stills, but can't remember from where.

Thanks
Greg
Greg Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 07:52 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Greg,
In FCP select the frame fro thr timeline goto export as and select quicktime, still frame then select the format Jpeg, Tiff etc and bingo you have a still frame. I would then import the still into Photoshop and apply whatever treatment you want or deinterlace it if required.
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 10:45 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Librandi View Post
Hi Greg,
In FCP select the frame fro thr timeline goto export as and select quicktime, still frame then select the format Jpeg, Tiff etc and bingo you have a still frame. I would then import the still into Photoshop and apply whatever treatment you want or deinterlace it if required.
I would add, if you need to 'uprez' the still the best solution I have come across is
Genuine Fractals. I've uprezzed SD footage for printing pictures on the face of a DVD
with really good results.
Gabe Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 02:48 PM   #4
Major Player

Lance and Gabe, thanks very much for the replies. I guess I was looking to circumvent 'shopping the images, but that's unrealistic. I've never hear of Genuine Fractals - very interesting looking program....
Greg Quinn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite