ProRes needs rendering? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 27th, 2009, 10:03 AM   #1
Major Player

ProRes needs rendering?

This has never happened to me before, but now for some reason I drop my 5DII footage that has been transcoded to ProRes onto my timeline and it needs rendering? It just recently started doing this.

The only thing that I did before this started happening was I captured some footage from one of my XL2s. After that, for some reason my 5DII footage transcoded to ProRes needs rendering. Does this for both ProRes and ProResHQ footage. Help Please!
Ryan Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 10:11 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
What CODEC is your SEQUENCE? Perhaps when you started editing SD footage, you switched your Sequence Preset preference back to something other than ProRes.

If your clip settings match your sequence settings EXACTLY, you should NEVER require rendering unless you add filters, resize etc.
Old September 27th, 2009, 10:28 AM   #3
Major Player

When I drop the footage in I get the "settings do not match... would you like to change them" prompt and I click yes. This should match up the settings and I should not have to render. I have checked the timeline settings and they do match. Could it be something that MpegStreamclip is doing on export?
Old September 27th, 2009, 10:33 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Fresh out of ideas. Indeed, if you are saying YES to the "Settings" Dialog, no render SHOULD be required. Have you tried a "cold restart" by turning the Mac off and back on. I find FCP6 is a LITTLE quirky ESPECIALLY if I've opened and closed Photoshop a couple of times while FCP was running. I SUSPECT that there is still a memory leak issue there when one is running CLOSE to the minimum specs (2GB memory in my case)
Old September 27th, 2009, 11:03 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Shaun, but no dice. Cold restart did not work. This is getting extremely frustrating and is slowing me down so much. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old September 28th, 2009, 07:40 AM   #6
Sponsor: Westside AV

Have you conformed 5D clips to 29.97?

They are 30, so use Cinema tools to conform all 5D clips before transcoding to ProRes.

Then they will play well with all other NTSC footage in a timeline and AJA Matrox boxes etc, will be much happier.

Last edited by Olof Ekbergh; September 28th, 2009 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Added info
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 07:52 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh View Post
Have you conformed 5D clips to 29.97?

They are 30, so use Cinema tools to conform all 5D clips before transcoding to ProRes.

Then they will play well with all other NTSC footage in a timeline and AJA Matrox boxes etc, will be much happier.
Thanks Olof! Any issues with conforming after the transcode? I have bout 2 hours of footage that has already been transcoded.

Edit: Tried to conform to 29.97 and the timeline still needs to be rendered. I am losing my mind!
Old September 28th, 2009, 08:36 AM   #8

Ryan,

I have had FCP get confused if I conform clips that are already imported.

It should be fine to conform Prores footage.

Conform clips then reimport, and drop one of them in a new timeline, conform timeline to clip. They should then play fine and similar footage ie 1080P 29.97 Prores. Give this a try.
Old September 28th, 2009, 12:40 PM   #9
Major Player

OK now this is really wierd! I went back to an older project that I know that I didn't have this problem on and pulled one of the project's clips into the timeline. It had to be rendered! Something's not right at all here. I didn't have to render when I edited that project before. Do you think deleting user prefs will work?
Old September 28th, 2009, 04:11 PM   #10

Yes trash the prefs and do a restart and reset PRAM (hold command, option, P and R keys down while starting let 4 "dings" go by then let go of keys, and let mac start.

This usually fixes a lot of FCP problems.
Old September 28th, 2009, 04:50 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh View Post
Yes trash the prefs and do a restart and reset PRAM (hold command, option, P and R keys down while starting let 4 "dings" go by then let go of keys, and let mac start.

This usually fixes a lot of FCP problems.
This did the trick! Thank you so much for your help. You are seriously my hero of the week! Sorry I got impatient and posted this in another thread as well, but desperate times call for desperate measures LOL. Again, I can't thank you enough.
Old September 29th, 2009, 01:12 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Old Chinese proverb:

If at first you don't succeed, trash prefs.

:-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite