DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Apple, where's my Blu-Ray authoring program (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/471750-apple-wheres-my-blu-ray-authoring-program.html)

Simon Denny January 27th, 2010 01:43 AM

Apple, where's my Blu-Ray authoring program

Ok, I have the latest Mac Pro the latest FCS Iv'e spent all my cash in the hope that BD will come to light. How hard can it be to give us a program that can create BD menus just like DVDSP can.
Re write DVDSP and add BD, come on guys at Apple.

Ok, I use Toast and can do the work around without Toast re compressing, this I'm cool with but Toast is no authoring program. I cant afford the Adobe suite as I have invested in the Apple way which has let me down after so long waiting for BD and all I can do is sit back and deal with it.
Sorry for my rant but I'm at the end of this line of patience and there is nothing I can do other than spending big bucks on Apple's competitor to Author BD.

Thanks

Gerrit Meijer January 27th, 2010 06:54 AM

Simon,

The best place to put your remark is on the apple product support site. That's the only place where they look for customer feedback. I was once told they do not even scan their own forums.

Here's the link

Apple - Support - DVD Studio Pro

Press the "submit DVD studio Pro feedback" link

Good luck

Gerrit Meijer.

Damian Heffernan January 27th, 2010 07:07 AM

Run windows under bootcamp? :)

Just kidding. We all long for a BD authoring program on the Mac. Maybe that's what they'll announce tomorrow at their big event.

Robert Lane January 27th, 2010 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Ash (Post 1477782)
Sorry for my rant but I'm at the end of this line of patience and there is nothing I can do other than spending big bucks on Apple's competitor to Author BD.

It is a sad state of affairs that Apple remains the odd-man-out in the BR arena; there's no good reason for it - certainly not this late in the game - other than Steve Jobs just doesn't want to play.

If you've a need "now" for BR authoring and want to stay on the Mac platform you have 2 options:

1. As you said, get Premiere Pro CS4 (you don't need the production bundle) as Encore is part of that package or;

2. Run any version of Windows you're comfortable with under Boot Camp and get this program:

Roxio DVDit Pro HD - DVD Authoring ? Overview

The Adobe solution would be much more elegant however, you'd still be dealing with Mac OSX's inability to *play-back* the content you just created, forcing you to either use an external player or, go back to the Boot Camp side to play it.

I would not expect any announcements relative to FCS anytime soon; clearly all the buzz is yet another consumer-driven product, Apple's new tablet offering and other "i-product" updates.

The hope is that since Apple has teased us with the BR export option in FCP7 that the next "full" version of FCS will in fact have a full BR authoring option, but clearly nobody knows outside of Apple walls exactly what they will do.

If you have distinct business need for authoring BR *now*, don't wait for Apple to bring their solution. My gut tells me that even if they do (which I find highly questionable considering their 3-year history of choices) it may not be any better than what Encore offers right *now*.

Martin Mayer January 27th, 2010 11:21 AM

Quote:

If you've a need "now" for BR authoring and want to stay on the Mac platform you have 2 options:

1. As you said, get Premiere Pro CS4 (you don't need the production bundle) as Encore is part of that package or;

2. Run any version of Windows you're comfortable with under Boot Camp and get this program:
Roxio DVDit Pro HD - DVD Authoring ? Overview
THREE options:

3. Roxio Toast 10 + BD Plug-in...

Robert Lane January 27th, 2010 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Mayer (Post 1477959)
THREE options:

3. Roxio Toast 10 + BD Plug-in...

Actually, that's not "authoring", that's drag-n-drop into a template-only, and as discussed in other threads this is not a viable authoring solution. The Toast w/BR plug-in is even much more simplified than the iDVD interface; no customizing *anything*.

Jim Forrest January 29th, 2010 06:02 PM

They support HD DVD....what good is that. That format died 2 years ago!

Robert Lane January 31st, 2010 10:37 AM

We now have an answer to the question

Quoted from a MacRumors article about a "town hall" meeting Jobs had with Apple employees immediately following the IPad release, regarding several topics.

On the topic of Blu-Ray Job's is quoted as saying:

"Blu-Ray software is a mess, and Apple will wait until sales really start to take off before implementing it."

So there you have it; Job's is sticking to his original assessment that BR is "a bag of hurt...".

Translation: Don't expect nor wait for Apple to get on-board with BR authoring anytime in the near future - if ever. Move forward with implementing other available and proven solutions, even using Boot Camp to use Windows apps to get it done if need be.

Shaun Roemich January 31st, 2010 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Lane (Post 1479804)
On the topic of Blu-Ray Job's is quoted as saying:

"Blu-Ray software is a mess, and Apple will wait until sales really start to take off before implementing it."

The worst part is he's right. What a convoluted format and licensing nightmare...

Am I craving BluRay authoring? Yep. Am I waiting for the reliability of authored discs to actually be playable just like I waited for DVD authoring to become reliable? Yep. I've only been doing DVDs for about 4 years. Before that, WAY too hit and miss for MY tastes. YMMV.

The issue I've got with Apple's current Streaming modality is that there are reports out there of the Internet bottlenecking already - IMAGINE 1 million global content creators streaming EVERYTHING they do. YIKES...

Andrew Kimery January 31st, 2010 03:30 PM

I don't see how it's that much a "bag of hurt" since other companies like Roxio, Adobe, and NetBlender are offering various degrees of BR authoring. And I know Apple isn't worried about offering the software at a competitive price because it's their ProApp MO to buy already existing software, put the Apple branding on it and dramatically slash the price.

Apple won't even put in BR readers let alone burners. Is playing back BR a "bag of hurt" too? Maybe it is if you've got a competing media distribution format which makes BR the enemy. ;)

-Andrew

Robert Lane January 31st, 2010 03:44 PM

I just laugh every time I see companies - like NetBlender - who showcase their product running on a Mac, but using BootCamp to Windows. It's almost as if they're quietly saying, "Psst - hey, you really *can't* do this on a Mac. Windows only buddy...".

Eh, whad'ya gonna do? Throw pitchforks at Jobs?

Gregory Barringer February 2nd, 2010 07:54 AM

Have you tried Share in FCP7? File > Share
If you have a BD burner installed, select it and let it run. It will create a Blu-ray disc without Compressor.
I know this is not the BD authoring software you are looking for with menus and sub chapters but it does create a BD. If you choose the Super Drive, it will create an AVCHD DVD with BD content but you are limited to about 15 minutes of play time.

I'm new to this forum and did a search for this subject, I didn't find it. If this has been discussed, just let me know.
Greg

Robert Lane February 2nd, 2010 04:06 PM

Hi Greg,

Welcome to the forums and yes, this topic has been covered ad-nauseum in several threads and even cross-category. But thanks for trying to help.

Gregory Barringer February 3rd, 2010 05:18 AM

After I posted that I found the subject in a few other places. I also found a post where someone was trying to burn a FCP export using Sony Vegas 8. I have Vegas, I'm going to give it a shot. I don't have Encore.

Hale Nanthan March 23rd, 2010 09:06 PM

I use tsMuxeR and ImgBurn to author BD on PC.

I konw tsMuxeR has MAC version.you can try.