DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 27th, 2010, 01:43 AM   #1
Trustee

Apple, where's my Blu-Ray authoring program

Ok, I have the latest Mac Pro the latest FCS Iv'e spent all my cash in the hope that BD will come to light. How hard can it be to give us a program that can create BD menus just like DVDSP can.
Re write DVDSP and add BD, come on guys at Apple.

Ok, I use Toast and can do the work around without Toast re compressing, this I'm cool with but Toast is no authoring program. I cant afford the Adobe suite as I have invested in the Apple way which has let me down after so long waiting for BD and all I can do is sit back and deal with it.
Sorry for my rant but I'm at the end of this line of patience and there is nothing I can do other than spending big bucks on Apple's competitor to Author BD.

Thanks
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 06:54 AM   #2
New Boot

Simon,

The best place to put your remark is on the apple product support site. That's the only place where they look for customer feedback. I was once told they do not even scan their own forums.

Here's the link

Apple - Support - DVD Studio Pro

Press the "submit DVD studio Pro feedback" link

Good luck

Gerrit Meijer.
Old January 27th, 2010, 07:07 AM   #3
Major Player

Run windows under bootcamp? :)

Just kidding. We all long for a BD authoring program on the Mac. Maybe that's what they'll announce tomorrow at their big event.
Damian Heffernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 11:04 AM   #4
Go Go Godzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Ash View Post
Sorry for my rant but I'm at the end of this line of patience and there is nothing I can do other than spending big bucks on Apple's competitor to Author BD.
It is a sad state of affairs that Apple remains the odd-man-out in the BR arena; there's no good reason for it - certainly not this late in the game - other than Steve Jobs just doesn't want to play.

If you've a need "now" for BR authoring and want to stay on the Mac platform you have 2 options:

1. As you said, get Premiere Pro CS4 (you don't need the production bundle) as Encore is part of that package or;

2. Run any version of Windows you're comfortable with under Boot Camp and get this program:

Roxio DVDit Pro HD - DVD Authoring ? Overview

The Adobe solution would be much more elegant however, you'd still be dealing with Mac OSX's inability to *play-back* the content you just created, forcing you to either use an external player or, go back to the Boot Camp side to play it.

I would not expect any announcements relative to FCS anytime soon; clearly all the buzz is yet another consumer-driven product, Apple's new tablet offering and other "i-product" updates.

The hope is that since Apple has teased us with the BR export option in FCP7 that the next "full" version of FCS will in fact have a full BR authoring option, but clearly nobody knows outside of Apple walls exactly what they will do.

If you have distinct business need for authoring BR *now*, don't wait for Apple to bring their solution. My gut tells me that even if they do (which I find highly questionable considering their 3-year history of choices) it may not be any better than what Encore offers right *now*.
Old January 27th, 2010, 11:21 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
If you've a need "now" for BR authoring and want to stay on the Mac platform you have 2 options:

1. As you said, get Premiere Pro CS4 (you don't need the production bundle) as Encore is part of that package or;

2. Run any version of Windows you're comfortable with under Boot Camp and get this program:
Roxio DVDit Pro HD - DVD Authoring ? Overview
THREE options:

3. Roxio Toast 10 + BD Plug-in...
Old January 27th, 2010, 12:14 PM   #6
Go Go Godzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mayer View Post
THREE options:

3. Roxio Toast 10 + BD Plug-in...
Actually, that's not "authoring", that's drag-n-drop into a template-only, and as discussed in other threads this is not a viable authoring solution. The Toast w/BR plug-in is even much more simplified than the iDVD interface; no customizing *anything*.
Old January 29th, 2010, 06:02 PM   #7
Major Player

They support HD DVD....what good is that. That format died 2 years ago!
Jim Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2010, 10:37 AM   #8
Go Go Godzilla

We now have an answer to the question

Quoted from a MacRumors article about a "town hall" meeting Jobs had with Apple employees immediately following the IPad release, regarding several topics.

On the topic of Blu-Ray Job's is quoted as saying:

"Blu-Ray software is a mess, and Apple will wait until sales really start to take off before implementing it."

So there you have it; Job's is sticking to his original assessment that BR is "a bag of hurt...".

Translation: Don't expect nor wait for Apple to get on-board with BR authoring anytime in the near future - if ever. Move forward with implementing other available and proven solutions, even using Boot Camp to use Windows apps to get it done if need be.
Old January 31st, 2010, 11:48 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lane View Post
On the topic of Blu-Ray Job's is quoted as saying:

"Blu-Ray software is a mess, and Apple will wait until sales really start to take off before implementing it."
The worst part is he's right. What a convoluted format and licensing nightmare...

Am I craving BluRay authoring? Yep. Am I waiting for the reliability of authored discs to actually be playable just like I waited for DVD authoring to become reliable? Yep. I've only been doing DVDs for about 4 years. Before that, WAY too hit and miss for MY tastes. YMMV.

The issue I've got with Apple's current Streaming modality is that there are reports out there of the Internet bottlenecking already - IMAGINE 1 million global content creators streaming EVERYTHING they do. YIKES...
Old January 31st, 2010, 03:30 PM   #10
Major Player

I don't see how it's that much a "bag of hurt" since other companies like Roxio, Adobe, and NetBlender are offering various degrees of BR authoring. And I know Apple isn't worried about offering the software at a competitive price because it's their ProApp MO to buy already existing software, put the Apple branding on it and dramatically slash the price.

Apple won't even put in BR readers let alone burners. Is playing back BR a "bag of hurt" too? Maybe it is if you've got a competing media distribution format which makes BR the enemy. ;)

-Andrew
Andrew Kimery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2010, 03:44 PM   #11
Go Go Godzilla

I just laugh every time I see companies - like NetBlender - who showcase their product running on a Mac, but using BootCamp to Windows. It's almost as if they're quietly saying, "Psst - hey, you really *can't* do this on a Mac. Windows only buddy...".

Eh, whad'ya gonna do? Throw pitchforks at Jobs?
Old February 2nd, 2010, 07:54 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Have you tried Share in FCP7? File > Share
If you have a BD burner installed, select it and let it run. It will create a Blu-ray disc without Compressor.
I know this is not the BD authoring software you are looking for with menus and sub chapters but it does create a BD. If you choose the Super Drive, it will create an AVCHD DVD with BD content but you are limited to about 15 minutes of play time.

I'm new to this forum and did a search for this subject, I didn't find it. If this has been discussed, just let me know.
Greg
Gregory Barringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2010, 04:06 PM   #13
Go Go Godzilla

Hi Greg,

Welcome to the forums and yes, this topic has been covered ad-nauseum in several threads and even cross-category. But thanks for trying to help.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 05:18 AM   #14
Regular Crew

After I posted that I found the subject in a few other places. I also found a post where someone was trying to burn a FCP export using Sony Vegas 8. I have Vegas, I'm going to give it a shot. I don't have Encore.
Gregory Barringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 09:06 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I use tsMuxeR and ImgBurn to author BD on PC.

I konw tsMuxeR has MAC version.you can try.
Hale Nanthan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite