DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 30th, 2010, 12:37 PM   #1
Major Player

Image Quality Question

I'm currently editing a documentary film in FCP that calls for a ton of images. Most of the images I have are in old magazines, and pictures I got from the subjects. Although I have filmed many of the magazines which works out well and look great, I also want to use digitized or scan images in as well.

My question is...what is the highest possible way to do this? I tried using a home scanner and scanned the pictures in at 300dpi and most look good, but when I zoom in on them they are not as clean as I would like. I have a budget for this film so if there's a company that specializes in this, please let me know.

SIDE QUESTION: In FCP why is the image very clean when the play head is not moving on an image but gets blurry when I hit play?

Thank You.
O.D.
Oliver Darden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2010, 12:43 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Darden View Post
SIDE QUESTION: In FCP why is the image very clean when the play head is not moving on an image but gets blurry when I hit play?
What colour is the bar at the top of Timeline window? If it isn't neutral grey, the clips need rendering and FCP is playing anyway in Preview mode due to RealTime settings.

Side bar: you may want to look into the legality of using the scanned images as they are very likely the intellectual property of someone else and your client may or may not have legal right to use them.
Old June 30th, 2010, 01:39 PM   #3
Major Player

Shaun, it's natural Grey so I'm pretty sure it doesn't need to be rendered. As far as the legality is concerned, that has all been taken care of properly so I'm not worried about that at all.

As far as getting the images into a workable file...what do the pros do for this sort of project?
Old June 30th, 2010, 03:05 PM   #4
New Boot

As an answer to your side question:
Check out the "Pain in the Rear" topic right in this forum. The guy there had the same issue and there has been some great answers.

Also check out the following website ("How do I work with still images")
Technique: Prepping Still Images for Final Cut Pro
Gabor Maly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2010, 09:14 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Shaun, it's natural Grey so I'm pretty sure it doesn't need to be rendered. As far as the legality is concerned, that has all been taken care of properly so I'm not worried about that at all.

As far as getting the images into a workable file...what do the pros do for this sort of project?
FCP still quirk:

Some stills come up as being able to play in real-time but they look pixelated when the timeline is playing. I haven't figured out what sort of stills cause this problem but it's happened to me. Force render these stills and all will be fine.
Old July 1st, 2010, 11:40 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
I used to have a photographic copy stand at my disposal and used that instead of scanning 98% of the time.
Old July 1st, 2010, 12:04 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabor Maly View Post
As an answer to your side question:
Check out the "Pain in the Rear" topic right in this forum. The guy there had the same issue and there has been some great answers.

Also check out the following website ("How do I work with still images")
Technique: Prepping Still Images for Final Cut Pro
Will do, thanks
Old July 1st, 2010, 12:05 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hohauser View Post
FCP still quirk:

Some stills come up as being able to play in real-time but they look pixelated when the timeline is playing. I haven't figured out what sort of stills cause this problem but it's happened to me. Force render these stills and all will be fine.
How do I force render?
Old July 2nd, 2010, 11:31 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Under the Sequence menu you'll find the render choices. In the Render Selection and Render All submenus you'll find that "Full" is not checked off. You can check it and then render or select the offending clips and select "Full" in the Render Only menu.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 05:10 PM   #10
Major Player

William, that seemed to do the trick.

Thanks everyone for all the info on this. The "Pain in the Rear" topic was very useful.
Oliver Darden is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite