DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 1st, 2010, 03:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

AVCHD to SD DVD

I will apologize in advance if this has been covered already in a thread..

I have FCP 7 and Sony AVCHD cameras. I recently recorded two events which were recorded in full HD 1920 x 1080i. I have transcoded them using Log and Transfer and have them in a sequence in FCP native to their original recorded format.

After editing my show in the native format, what is the best way then to get this footage to DVD Studio Pro and ultimately to SD DVD?

Should I export as a quicktime movie from the HD timeline, then define a project in DVD Studio Pro as a SD 16:9 Anamorphic project, then import the HD Footage? Or do I have to pull the edited show into a SD 16:9 sequence inside final cut, then export as a quicktime movie from the SD time line, then go to DVD Studio pro?

All this HD stuff is new to me, since I was all SD to this point... Any step by step help with settings described will be greatly appreciated.
Old July 1st, 2010, 07:28 PM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

Regardless what format you start off with the process of getting to a good-looking SD-DVD is the same; you need to use customized Compressor settings (never rely on the default "best" droplet). If you do a search you'll find many posts giving the same information repeated.

I've often teased that I'd be posting these settings on my review site to be easily found for future reference; I think it's high-time I finally do that. I'll get those settings posted and make a link here (maybe a sticky if possible).
Old July 1st, 2010, 09:08 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks, Robert. I and a few people around here will really appreciate that. AVCHD to SD DVD is becoming more and more workflow people use because of the efficiency of its file-based recording, the affordability of excellent compact AVCHD cams and widespread support from all levels of NLEs now. In my area, the main reason why most video professionals still stick with tape-based HDV, DVC Pro HD etc. is because there is virtually no local market for them to dispose of their tape-based gear.
Wacharapong Chiowanich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2010, 10:20 PM   #4
Go Go Godzilla

AVCHD support isn't exactly "widespread" yet, but's it's coming at a blistering pace.

I'm about to release several NLE reviews for Mac and PC and of course one of the focus areas is AVCHD file handling, including the newer version the Panny just introduced with the TM/HS700 that's shoots 1080p60 *native* in the codec. Right now that's a toughie to handle. (The Sony Movie Studio HD Platinum review is already posted)

For now just know that for FCP, "ClipWrap" is your best friend, until the Final Cut suite gets AVCHD native support (no more transcoding to ProRes - hopefully). Premiere Pro CS5 technically handles AVCHD drag-n-drop but you still have to render to get a full-res preview. Edius 5 has total AVCHD support, no pre-rendering to preview. Avid has also supposedly followed suit but I won't review Avid V.5 until later this month. I've not heard mum from the guys at Boris (Media 100) so I'm not sure where they're at with AVCHD support yet.

I'll get the SD-DVD Compressor settings and workflow post done either tomorrow or Sat and will post a link here.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite