Multi camera with different frame rates? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 9th, 2011, 07:11 PM   #1
Major Player

Multi camera with different frame rates?

I'm wanting to edit a multi camera shoot. As I was working (was syncing things with plureyes), it was found out that 2 of the cameras filmed in 60p and the main camera in 30p. So FCP wont allow muti camera with different frame rates.

Is there a solution to this, with out it being a difficult process? Of course everything, for me is a difficult process, because I am extremely new at FCP, and am learning as I am going.

Any advice would help.

I tried changing the 60p clips to 30p, but not sure I did it correct. In the new clips item properties, it says its 29.97fps, but when I bring into the timeline, it says 60 (or 59.94 I think it is)
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 09:16 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Better to go 30p to 60p through Compressor. This way you'll have duplicated frames, the other way you'll either loose frames or end up blending frames which might not look so good.
Old February 10th, 2011, 12:53 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks again William, I'm stumbling my way through learning FCP. I've been a believer, all my life, of just diving in and learning hands on. Its worked well for me this far, but nothing beats getting good tips/tricks/advice from others who have been through it all long before me.

This project has definitely come with a good learning curve, thankfully its just a favor for some friends. And frankly they would never find anyone to do what I'm doing, for free. And if they decided to pull it out of my hands, it wouldn't hurt my feels in the least bit. I may still be learning a lot of different things, but one thing I've always been good at, is planning things out and seeing the big picture. They totally haven't done any of that. Its really why Im back here messing with this footage, and not on location, because I knew it was going to be a total cluster f%^K from the get go, and it has. Now I'm trying to clean up the mess the best I can. Their manager is pressuring me for results, I keep explaining to her, going through a months worth of footage, takes a bit of time, and I'm only one guy, doing this on the side, after I work my 65 hour a week day job...lol...Im hoping they decide to out source. Cause all the organizing Ive done, converting of footage to prores (yep 2 of the cameras film in unsupported format), and then tonight when I was putting together some rough of 3 camera interviews, I realized they shot those 2 cameras in 60p and the other (jvc) in 30p. When I called and told them to check their equipment settings, I was told they shot that way on purpose, because the guy giving them all their advice (but no help) told them it would be neat for doing slow motion stuff. So I asked them why they would want to do slow motion during an interview, and told them to change the f'ing settings..lol They still have 90 more days of filming, and Im not too sure if I'll be interested in processing that footage. But I'm learning my way around FCP. Compressor still baffels me, Im going to have to get back on Lynda.com and work my way through that section agian.

Thanks again,
Jeff
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 09:31 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Slow motion interviews..... I'll have to try that.
Old February 14th, 2011, 08:03 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Wow Jeff, your post makes me think I'm reading my bio. Your expierence is much like my first commercial projects. I even went to school for this! Hang in there, I'm still learning and I may be only be a COUPLE of steps in front of you. One thing I learned about doing projects for profit is, don't let the customer in on the first few editing sessions. Get a rough cut on the timeline and then bring them in. If they want you to put something in slowmo, they will probably change thier mind when they see a rough cut that looks much better. But the customer is the customer and whether or not they pay for the project, it still needs to make them happy. Another thing I learned rather quickly, is...that if I didn't know, and I couldn't ask or handle it myself, I hired someone. With out a paying customer though, that may be rough for you. I don't know.
Caleb Reynolds is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite