DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 12th, 2011, 11:13 PM   #1
Major Player

Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep

Okay I've just started, and the tutorial disk is very helpful but has overlooked something that maybe is an issue exclusive to my setup, and that is the fact that the four clips I have imported have a red line above them indicating that they need to be rendered.

Well, I've seen others using FCP and they only render when there is an effect or transition, not when simply placing clips in the timeline - so something isn't right.

Everything else is in accordance with the tutorial and the clips are all viewable.

Is it to do with my camera settings possibly, do they need to be somehow in synch?
Cameron Poole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2011, 11:38 PM   #2
Inner Circle

It means that you are importing a codec that is not playable in the timeline, on your computer, without rendering. Are these files from a DSLR? Those should be imported with Log and Transfer or using a third party program.
Old February 13th, 2011, 12:21 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi William, thanks for your prompt reply.

I am using files from an AVCHD (Panasonic AG-HMC152) which were not even compatible with Quicktime or iMovie HD until I downloaded Wondershare Video Converter.

The files have now all been converted to .mov files, I think they were unreadable MTS files previously.

Should I import files directly from the camera into FCP?
Cameron Poole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2011, 07:24 AM   #4
Inner Circle

If Log and Transfer recognizes the camera, then yes. Remember that Log and Transfer will convert the files into the ProRes codec which is very easy for the computer to work with but much larger in size than the original camera files, so expect your hard drive space to fill up quicker.
Old February 14th, 2011, 08:26 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Poole View Post
Okay I've just started, and the tutorial disk is very helpful but has overlooked something that maybe is an issue exclusive to my setup, and that is the fact that the four clips I have imported have a red line above them indicating that they need to be rendered.

Well, I've seen others using FCP and they only render when there is an effect or transition, not when simply placing clips in the timeline - so something isn't right.

Everything else is in accordance with the tutorial and the clips are all viewable.

Is it to do with my camera settings possibly, do they need to be somehow in synch?
Your title says "Beep beep beep" but then you say the clips are viewable. Do they play back in the timeline with the beeping? if so, you have an audio mismatch. Try making a new sequence, then insert a clip on it. let FCP change the sequence to match the clip.
p

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite