always with redlining. . .why? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 14th, 2013, 11:55 PM   #1
Slash Rules!

always with redlining. . .why?

I have FCP 7 and have noticed it will "red line" (requires render) for relatively simple things. Here is a common scenario:

Editing corporate video project, 30 mins+ single footage file from EX1, transcoded via XDCam Transfer. I will edit the footage together with powerpoint slides, created by saving each slide as a PNG from Powerpoint (large slides, whatever the max is. . .3000x2250 or something because I will sometimes "zoom in" on the slides). Since the slides are almost never widescreen and the project is, I will put a layer under each slide with a solid color (FCP video generator effect) that matches the overall background of the slide. I realize I could do this in photoshop and essentially make the slides widescreen but I don't know how to do that QUICKLY.)

Sometimes color correct the footage but have this issue even with no FX on footage.

So basically, a sequence will usually START with the bright green lines (need render but can preview in real time) but shortly thereafter will start redlining all the time. Trying to track this down to system inadequacy, needing more RAM, or needing to change FCP 's RAM-related settings.

I have a 2011 Imac maxed out (except for RAM, have the stock 8 GB out of possible 16--I think). Running Mountain Lion if that matters.

Wondering if anyone can enlighten me?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2013, 03:50 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: always with redlining. . .why?

I had this too and I think I ended up making all the stills into a format identical to the timeline by using make freeze frame as I also found that the PNG files were causing the system to crash and constantly run out of memory.
Old October 16th, 2013, 11:06 AM   #3
Slash Rules!

That makes sense. Is the freeze frame same res as timeline settings? That would make it look kinda crappy when zooming. Other than that sounds brilliant
Old October 17th, 2013, 01:43 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
That makes sense. Is the freeze frame same res as timeline settings? That would make it look kinda crappy when zooming. Other than that sounds brilliant
Well you could zoom it first and then make the freeze frame, this was a few years ago so I can;t be sure that is what I did but I certainly know that just putting stills on the timeline seemed to cause me problems.
Old October 17th, 2013, 02:55 AM   #5
Slash Rules!

intriguing. I've just been doing it for so long without question. Now I know, and knowing is half the battle.

G.I .JOSH!!!!!!!!!
Old October 17th, 2013, 04:17 AM   #6
Trustee

I used to get the run out of memory flag a lot and it took me ages to figure that it was that I was using still images and I think it was just filling up the buffer with crap.

Toggling RT and Safe memory playback cleared it for a while and then it would flag up again when I made the stills into a different format it went away.
Old October 17th, 2013, 04:48 AM   #7
Slash Rules!

What format do you mean? I use PNGs on recommendation of client (also an editor) that I'm editing for.
Old October 17th, 2013, 06:04 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Try TIFFS or JPEGS. As long as you don't go beyond the pixel size limit, they should work well.
Old October 17th, 2013, 06:37 AM   #9
Slash Rules!

I'm assuming smaller file size = better performance? i.e. JPEGS over TIFFS. except for compression artifacts. Not sure why the PNGs were used in the first place. . .just following orders.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite