Very specific Pixel correction... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 30th, 2005, 06:44 PM   #1
New Boot

Very specific Pixel correction...

After a recent shoot I noticed that the last 10 shots or so had a small, fixed position blemish, something on the lense I didn't catch apparently. It shows up a little lighter than whatever is around it, but is slightly transparent; enough so, that it gets somewhat lighter and darker as it passes over varying objects.

I use FCP, and have isolated the offending pixels (which number 6-8 in the canvas window when blown up to 800%) with a garbage matte. I've tried a simple brightness contrast adjust, and also 3 way color correction to lower the whites and mid until it matched darkness with an onscreen object. The thing is, when the shot moves and something brighter appears over the pixels they stand out as too dark. I am unable to find a perfect balance or even a satisfactory "happy medium". Anyone have an idea on adjustments/filters I might try? I could go through and keyframe all the shots and adjust as needed, but I thought perhaps someone might have an idea to save me a few hours of tedious work...

Thanks for the time.
Jeff Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2005, 12:20 AM   #2
Major Player

If the blemish changes brightness relative to the rest of the shot then you will almost certainly have to keyframe it. But just in case, I find that Gaussian blurs often work wonders in all kinds of situations. It's always worth a try to experiment with those, and if you can't get the shape/area just right for the blur with a garbage matte then you can try making a mask in Photoshop or Illustrator and using it as an alpha channel travel matte. Or you can try just feathering the edges of the garbage matte.
Zach Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2005, 09:23 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Try the Digital Heaven plug-in "Reincarnation". You can find it on their website at:

http://www.digital-heaven.co.uk/indexflash.htm

Click on "Final Cut Plug-ins" then click "DH-Reincarnation" and watch the tutorial to see if this is what you need. I have bought and used DH-Box, DH-Dropout, and DH-Subtitle and they all work great. The best part is that each program is only $10 bucks!

I am not affiliated with Digital Heaven in any way other than being a satisfied customer.

I hope this helps.
www.doubledogsvideo.com
video@doubledogs.com
Brad Richmond is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite