DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 10th, 2005, 08:52 AM   #1
Tourist

Import Video Problem

Hello,

I've recently shot a wedding using 2 different cameras. One being a Sony DCR-VX1000 and the other being a XL-1. I own the VX1000 and had to borrow the other camera for this shoot. I use the VX-1000 to import the footage into FCP 4, but it doesn't want to play the XL-1 footage. Actually, it will play it in the viewfinder (with many drop-outs/distortions) and won't show it at all on the Log & Capture window. Anyone know why it won't play this footage ? Is there a setting I could change on my VX to make it play the footage better ? I've also tried using a friends Sony DV Deck, and I get the same distortions/drop-outs. There is a possiblity that the footage is littered with drop-outs, but maybe there's another reason that I don't know about in concern with using the Xl-1 and how it records video. Any ideas ? I will try getting a hold of the XL-1 again, but I just wanted to hear everyone's thoughts and possibly solve this without renting the camera again.

Thanks
Matt LeClair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2005, 02:33 PM   #2
Major Player

The Canon XL series of cameras are infamous for their inability to play back on other equipment even though they claim to adhere to the DV standards. The easiest and best solution is to play back on the machine in which you recorded. The alternative is to get the other machine realigned to play back the XL-1 tape after which it probably won't play back tapes recorded on it prior to the realignment.
A. J. deLange is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite