DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Dividing long clips after capture (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/53244-dividing-long-clips-after-capture.html)

Mike Medavoy October 23rd, 2005 10:37 PM

Dividing long clips after capture

Hi!

I just captured 31 hours of footage for a documentary. I did it in 31 long 1-hour chunk of clips.

Now, I want to divide it into a miriad of clips based on the transcript that I got. The problem is, I don't wanna go through the subclips route... I want the project to look as if I logged in and captured all those clips from the very beginning - a very tedious process. But I want everything to look AS IF I went the hard way.

Is that possible? Can I divide everything into small clips and get rid of those 1-hour long chunks?

Thanks.

Greg Boston October 23rd, 2005 11:11 PM

The 'marker' is your friend here. Study its uses and break that footage into pieces.

-gb-

Shane Ross October 26th, 2005 01:22 AM

Are you sure that it wouldn't have taken you just about as long to log and capture the footage as it will to capture the whole tape, then break it up and label it?

Yes, it is tedious, but who said editing (or assistant editing for that matter) is easy or fast?

Zach Mull October 26th, 2005 02:53 PM

If you want the entire project to look like you never did ultralong captures then you'll have to use the media manager. But by far the best way to media manage for your purposes is making subclips then media managing only your folders full of subclips. If you've already captured then you'll want to use the copy function and make sure that you don't include master clips outside your selection.

Boyd Ostroff October 26th, 2005 03:26 PM

I guess this doesn't help much now, but I have to agree with Shane. I didn't use the log and capture function for years myself. But once I started I never went back. I don't think it takes any more time, and it can save a lot of disk space. Also, hour long captures can abort halfway through, resulting in corrupted files and time wasted.

In the future consider logging and capturing. The beauty of this is that after marking everything you can go away for awhile and let the computer do all the hard work :-)

Vic Owen October 27th, 2005 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
In the future consider logging and capturing. The beauty of this is that after marking everything you can go away for awhile and let the computer do all the hard work :-)

Or, consider making the leap to a Firestore (or similar). I seldom capture from tape anymore....it expedites the process considerably. Tape is used only for back-up.

Dave Perry October 27th, 2005 08:56 PM

Mike,

Sounds like you are getting ready for an edit session with a client :)

Anyway, in the future I would use log and capture. For now I would use the subclip feature and rename each sub clip in a manner that looks as if you captured each one separately.

As for markers, thanks for the tip Greg. I'm going to look into that myself.