Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 23rd, 2005, 10:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Dividing long clips after capture

Hi!

I just captured 31 hours of footage for a documentary. I did it in 31 long 1-hour chunk of clips.

Now, I want to divide it into a miriad of clips based on the transcript that I got. The problem is, I don't wanna go through the subclips route... I want the project to look as if I logged in and captured all those clips from the very beginning - a very tedious process. But I want everything to look AS IF I went the hard way.

Is that possible? Can I divide everything into small clips and get rid of those 1-hour long chunks?

Thanks.
Mike Medavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2005, 11:11 PM   #2
Wrangler

The 'marker' is your friend here. Study its uses and break that footage into pieces.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 01:22 AM   #3
Major Player

Are you sure that it wouldn't have taken you just about as long to log and capture the footage as it will to capture the whole tape, then break it up and label it?

Yes, it is tedious, but who said editing (or assistant editing for that matter) is easy or fast?
Shane Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 02:53 PM   #4
Major Player

If you want the entire project to look like you never did ultralong captures then you'll have to use the media manager. But by far the best way to media manage for your purposes is making subclips then media managing only your folders full of subclips. If you've already captured then you'll want to use the copy function and make sure that you don't include master clips outside your selection.
Zach Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 03:26 PM   #5
Wrangler

I guess this doesn't help much now, but I have to agree with Shane. I didn't use the log and capture function for years myself. But once I started I never went back. I don't think it takes any more time, and it can save a lot of disk space. Also, hour long captures can abort halfway through, resulting in corrupted files and time wasted.

In the future consider logging and capturing. The beauty of this is that after marking everything you can go away for awhile and let the computer do all the hard work :-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2005, 11:29 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
In the future consider logging and capturing. The beauty of this is that after marking everything you can go away for awhile and let the computer do all the hard work :-)
Or, consider making the leap to a Firestore (or similar). I seldom capture from tape anymore....it expedites the process considerably. Tape is used only for back-up.
Old October 27th, 2005, 08:56 PM   #7
Major Player

Mike,

Sounds like you are getting ready for an edit session with a client :)

Anyway, in the future I would use log and capture. For now I would use the subclip feature and rename each sub clip in a manner that looks as if you captured each one separately.

As for markers, thanks for the tip Greg. I'm going to look into that myself.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite