DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 2nd, 2005, 09:26 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Exporting from FCP 4.5

Hello,

I'm shooting mini DV, XL2 in 24P mode. The Apple manual I have doesn't really go into the details of export formats. It says DVC Pro 50 has a 7 MB/sec rate, but that's about it. I'm seeking to export the production and then burn it to DVD. I'm hoping to keep the audio and video quality as high as possible.

Is there a document that shows the details of the different export options and what to expect from them?

Thanks in advance.

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2005, 02:21 AM   #2
Major Player

Ty, if you're going to DVD then you'll want to export using your current sequence settings (File>Export>QuickTime Movie and make sure you have "Current Settings" selected) then transcode that file using Compressor or another MPEG-2 encoder. You're not editing in DVCPro 50 if your footage comes from an XL2 - at least you shouldn't be. You're editing in one of the DV25 formats.

There seems to be confusion all the time on this Mac editing board about maintaining the highest quality while editing and exporting. Unless you're doing something special (like bumping your DV footage up to uncompressed SD so you can use the Nattress G Nicer filter) then you just want to keep everything in its native format until the last possible moment. So keep everything in DV until you're ready to encode your final MPEG-2 file to put on your DVD.
Zach Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2005, 06:06 AM   #3
Major Player

Zach nailed it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite