Mac mini vs. Imac bus speed? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 8th, 2005, 10:00 AM   #1
Tourist

Mac mini vs. Imac bus speed?

How important is bus speed when DV editing?
What is the real difference between the 167 bus speed of the mac mini and a bus speed of about 600 (I think) on the iMac.
I read on a forum somewhere that the the mac mini is only 25 to 30% slower than an iMac. Is this true? Was the person only talking about processor speed?
How much should bus speed factor into my purchase of a Mac for dv editing?

I am considering buying a mini mac for DV editing. It seems like people are able to use mac minis for dv editing when they upgrade the RAM and use an external hard drive (which I already own). The low bus speed of the mac mini is my biggest concern. I have a lot of raw footage to work with, My background is that i'm producing a 30 minute documentary that will air on a local cable access station. Previously, I've completed shows in linear editing suites, but now I'm transitioning from linear to nonlinear editing, so even though the machine is for more than home movies, I'm hoping the mac mini will work--I'm on a budget and am a novice digital editor! Anyhow, again, bus speed is my biggest concern. I won't be doing any animation or 3D work...so will a mac mini work for me? I will pay the extra money if bus speed really is a very important factor. It just seems like if the iMac is only 25 to 30 percent faster than the mac mini (unsure of this-please confirm), that the mac mini can do almost the same thing at almost the same speed for a much cheaper price(if you own all the peripherals). Is the mac mini a good first choice for a mac computer while I save for a PowerMac? Lots of questions so thanks for your help in advance.
Kimberly Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 10:45 AM   #2
Major Player

Kimberly, a little lower on the page there is an excellent, recent thread about this: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=53479. I think the people on it will convince you that a Mac Mini is more than adequate for DV.
Zach Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 01:12 AM   #3
Wrangler

Also have a look at this "sticky" thread. It has links to a bunch of other threads which will guide you to some benchmarks and other useful info:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=51730
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite