DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 16th, 2006, 01:59 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Update

Because I am missing the codec, will I not be able to uload regular DV footage?

I am currently trying to import the HDV footage I mentioned above which I converted to DV and the error message I get when I open log and capture is:

"Unable to initialize video deck... "

THE DISK MENTIONED ABOVE WAS THE DISC USED TO INSTALL MY FCP. WHAT IS THE PROPER WAY TO RE-INSTALL?

OR IS THERE A SIMPLER WAY TO GET THE CODEC BACK?

Thanks,
Dan
Dan Kutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2006, 12:48 PM   #17
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Kutler
So there is no other way to get that original DVCPRO Codec back?
I don't know why the codec would have disappeared, it was probably never installed. I think it should be included in the Quicktime 7 upgrade, but I'm not sure. Can you confirm that you are running QT7?

Either way, when you get the error message can you still work in FCP, or does it shut you down? I would stay away from the DVCPROHD codec because it is more trouble than its worth with 960x720 default frame size and non-square pixels.
Stick with Apple Intermediate Codec and square pixels at 1280 x 720 and you should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Kutler
THE DISK MENTIONED ABOVE WAS THE DISC USED TO INSTALL MY FCP. WHAT IS THE PROPER WAY TO RE-INSTALL?
There is no improper way to install FCP from the original DVD. Just double click on the orange/yellow box that says "Install Final Cut Studio," click "continue" and "agree" and then make sure that everything is checkmarked (FCP, Livetype, Cinema Tools, etc.)
The install disk will check to make sure that you have quicktime 7 and install it if you don't.

Since you originally "dragged the icon of FCP from the disk onto my hardrive" then you must have a CD copy of the application that was already installed on someone else's system. This means you are missing all of the extras (codecs, drivers & presets) needed to run FCP properly. FCP is not self-contained like other apps because of its dependency on Quicktime.

Have you tried iMovieHD? It works with HD AIC codec. It will even digitize 720P30.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite