Countdown at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old June 27th, 2006, 08:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 164
Countdown

Can anyone please tell me how to make my own countdown in FCHDE, instaed of using the standard one that comes with FCHDE?

Thank you.
Carl Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 08:32 AM   #2
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 595
I presume you mean the countdown that can be generated when you "print to video"?

My suggestion would be to make a custom bars, tone and countdown sequence in your projects timeline (before your main movie). Simply make the countdown using FCE's text generator. Use the test tone as the 2-1 second "beep". Then when you export, just deselect the use countdown option.

As far as I know, you can't replace FCE's existing default countdown animation.

Hope this helps!
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 11:17 AM   #3
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hocking
I presume you mean the countdown that can be generated when you "print to video"?

My suggestion would be to make a custom bars, tone and countdown sequence in your projects timeline (before your main movie). Simply make the countdown using FCE's text generator. Use the test tone as the 2-1 second "beep". Then when you export, just deselect the use countdown option.

As far as I know, you can't replace FCE's existing default countdown animation.

Hope this helps!
Thanks Chris, it does help. I would like to make a more personal one with my company logo. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.
Carl Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 06:09 PM   #4
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Welland ON
Posts: 515
What if you did a print to tape with the included countdown then captured the video back into Final Cut and superimpose your logo over top and then export it as a self contained quicktime that you could use in all your projects.
__________________
"We've done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
Nate Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 07:11 PM   #5
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Schmidt
What if you did a print to tape with the included countdown then captured the video back into Final Cut and superimpose your logo over top and then export it as a self contained quicktime that you could use in all your projects.
Wow Nate, I think I'll give it a shot. Do you think even though I superimose my logo over the FCE logo, will I still see some of the FCE logo?

Thanks.
Carl Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 07:22 PM   #6
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 595
I'm not sure what the latest Final Cut Express countdown looks like, but if its anything like the original version, yes you will still see the logo.

It would probably be easier just to re-create your own countdown.

This link is for a tutorial on how to create your own countdown in FCP, but the same theory applies to Express. It should only take you a couple of minutes and you can re-use it for all your projects.

To add your own logo, etc. just import a Photoshop, GIF, or JPEG file, etc. Or if you have an animated version of it, just import it as a Quicktime file.

If you're a big Photoshop fan, you could create the whole sequence in Photoshop and just import it all into Final Cut Express, then add sound.

Alternatively, you could do a search on Google for countdown animations you can download or purchase and just add your logo to it.

Good luck!
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 08:19 PM   #7
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hocking
I'm not sure what the latest Final Cut Express countdown looks like, but if its anything like the original version, yes you will still see the logo.

It would probably be easier just to re-create your own countdown.

This link is for a tutorial on how to create your own countdown in FCP, but the same theory applies to Express. It should only take you a couple of minutes and you can re-use it for all your projects.

To add your own logo, etc. just import a Photoshop, GIF, or JPEG file, etc. Or if you have an animated version of it, just import it as a Quicktime file.

If you're a big Photoshop fan, you could create the whole sequence in Photoshop and just import it all into Final Cut Express, then add sound.

Alternatively, you could do a search on Google for countdown animations you can download or purchase and just add your logo to it.

Good luck!
Thanks much Chris.
Carl Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 09:29 PM   #8
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 796
Carl,

You can create your own countdown and use it when printing to tape. Once you have created a cool countdown leader, save it as a self contained FCP movie on your media drive. I have a folder on mine that is used for storing clips that get reused over and over again such as countdown leaders, slates, etc.

When you print to tape, you will notice the top half of the Print to Tape dialog box has a check box for Countdown. Check it then to the right of it, navigate to where you saved your countdown file and select it.
__________________
Dave Perry Cinematographer LLC
Director of Photography Editor Digital Film Production 540.915.2752 daveperry.net
Dave Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 09:57 PM   #9
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Perry
Carl,

You can create your own countdown and use it when printing to tape. Once you have created a cool countdown leader, save it as a self contained FCP movie on your media drive. I have a folder on mine that is used for storing clips that get reused over and over again such as countdown leaders, slates, etc.

When you print to tape, you will notice the top half of the Print to Tape dialog box has a check box for Countdown. Check it then to the right of it, navigate to where you saved your countdown file and select it.
Thanks Dave.
Carl Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2006, 12:51 AM   #10
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 595
Dave, on the original Final Cut Express software at least, you cannot specify a custom countdown sequence. The latest version might be different.
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2006, 07:12 AM   #11
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hocking
Dave, on the original Final Cut Express software at least, you cannot specify a custom countdown sequence. The latest version might be different.
Chris,

You now can specify with the latest version.
Carl Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2006, 08:05 AM   #12
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 595
Sorry Carl, I don't have the latest Express version. You'll have to check for yourself. Just follow Dave's instructions and see if you can select a custom countdown sequence. If you can, then great! Problem solved! If not, refer to my previous post; just put the bars, tone and countdown sequence at the beginning of your timeline (ie. before the feature movie). Simple!

Happy movie making! ~ Chris!
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2006, 08:57 AM   #13
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hocking
Sorry Carl, I don't have the latest Express version. You'll have to check for yourself. Just follow Dave's instructions and see if you can select a custom countdown sequence. If you can, then great! Problem solved! If not, refer to my previous post; just put the bars, tone and countdown sequence at the beginning of your timeline (ie. before the feature movie). Simple!

Happy movie making! ~ Chris!
Thanks Chris.
Carl Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2006, 04:58 PM   #14
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 164
Well, I ended up purchasing a countdown from a stock footage library for $49.00, and the superimposed my logo over that. It looks pretty good, and it saved me some time. Thanks everyone for all the imput.

Happy 4th!!
Carl Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2006, 05:43 PM   #15
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: France
Posts: 58
Mondofragilis network

Thought I would show off our countdown. We use it on all our films.
Attached Files
File Type: mpg mfn_countdown.mpg (739.1 KB, 293 views)
Cemil Giray is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:08 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network