Some Video IPod observations....What works for this format? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 10th, 2006, 09:32 AM   #1
Wrangler

Some Video IPod observations....What works for this format?

this isn't DVD or web delivery, but...

video ipod delivery!

i was sick for a day or two and this finally gave me enough downtime to figure out the video ipod which has been sitting on my desk. i converted 16 short pieces. i'm quite happy to have a mobile portfolio finally.

i haven't seen a thread that discusses the unique things about this format, so i thought i'd start one.

1) wildlife-specific videography suffers--it really diminishes the spectacle. on the other hand, landscape cinematography is terrific. big vistas make for great colorspace and larger objects work with the screen size.

2) to my surprise, sony's cineframe 30 is OUTSTANDING on the video IPod. the colors are fabulous. the softness seems reduced and actually results in a very film-like look. did i mention the fabulous colors? if i ever shot a video specific to this format, this would be the mode. the least artifacting format, as well.

3) widescreen has issues! weird compression, as i would expect, but also artifacting....

4) pans and zooms are more effective in this format than in any other.

anyone else have any suggestions for what works/doesn't work in this nearly-new delivery system?

most of the discussion of the video Ipod has focused on how to deliver, but we haven't had a discussion about *what* to deliver.

anyone else?
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 06:11 PM   #2
Trustee

dave perry mentioned in another thread that he has created wide-screen ipod video that played back from the ipod onto a t.v.(??)... but you were referring to ipod playback only?

are you using quicktime to create your ipod video?
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video