Why is H264 Brighter? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 10th, 2006, 12:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Why is H264 Brighter?

I've been exporting a project to H264 codec and mpeg4 codec for internet download and the h264 while smaller is highly inaccurate in terms of color reporduction, everything is somehow brighter and cheaper looking whereas the mpeg4 replicates the original file exactly. I hear h264 is this great tool but for some reason it makes everything I export brighter and washed out, why is this? Does anyone else know what I'm talking about? How do I get H264 to reproduce the coloration exactly, like mpeg4 does?
Ralph Sturgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 02:41 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Your not alone Ralph, although I can’t explain why the H264 codec does give a washout video look to encoded footage, I can tell you I have the same problem. After I’m done with a project that will go to H264, I always apply levels or color curves to compensate for the poor color reproduction of H264. Some might say, “you started with video so in the end it will look like video”. True to a certain extent, but even full motion graphic compositions that i've done look great as an uncompressed avi, but get washed out when encoded with H264. I still think it’s a great tool, but just like anything else it has its weakness. Anybody know the answer to Ralph’s question?
Jacob Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 03:30 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I ve notice the same thing in h264 renders. But I have seen other people present some nice looking stuff in h264. They obviously know something I don't know, and I would like to know to. I've noticed on other threads that there are similar complaint, and praise for those who manage to master it.
Old May 12th, 2006, 06:06 PM   #4
Trustee

what encoders and media players are you guys using with your h.264? if there was a commonality, it would help to pinpoint the source of the problem.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 10:06 PM   #5
Inner Circle

If I recall, I've tried it in Vegas Movies Studio, PremierePro 2.0 and also using the Quicktime Professional version. I always felt I just had to learn a trick or two about the input file, or about selecting certain parameters.
Old May 12th, 2006, 10:33 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I've noticed the same thing too...

For comparison's sake, I post my video podcast in several different formats, all with unchanged settings out of Vegas. I have it posted in wmv, divx, flash, and H.264.

If you're interested in the comparison, you can find it at: http://www.neo-fight.tv.

Best,

Benjamin

----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.neo-fight.tv [The "Techno-Debate" Video Podcast]
Ben Freedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2006, 09:46 PM   #7
Trustee

ben, i can see the difference with your wmv vs. h.264... the gamma differences are visible in the backdrop behind the talking heads, the color of your shirt is different, etc.

i have been able to recreate this myself, but it's not because of the codecs... from what i can see, it's because of the media players involved.

i created qt-compatible(no b-frames) h.264(mpeg4?) in nero, and it looks quite a bit brighter in the nero player... the colors are more saturated, and the gamma is different... the nero player has a "vivid color" switch that i had turned off.

i was able to open the same file with the windows media 10 player also, and it was very slightly brighter than the qt player, but not nearly as much of a difference... so i would suggest opening the same file with multiple media players, and see what the differences are there.

so far, it appears that all of you are using just the qt player for your h.264, which is the commonality that's giving my file the washed-out look... but it may not be as dramatic a difference as what i saw with ben's two different files.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video