New FireStore FS-4 - DTE for Hand Held Camcorders - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old November 2nd, 2004, 02:06 AM   #31
Regular Crew

Does it matter

I think just like many of the others on this thread have pointed out what is the difference between the PAL and NTSC models? I'm sure if I shot some clips with a PAL camera the hard drive would for NTSC would record it. I am a Yank Videographer working in Asia and I use both formats frequently why not make one unit compatable for both? I'll probably buy the US unit ( cheaper ) and buy third party adaptors to power it. Like many others in Europe tired of getting ripped just because we use PAL which is a superior format anyhow.
Old November 29th, 2004, 09:49 AM   #32
New Boot

Any update on FS-4 street date?

Matt (or someone), can you confirm that the FS-4 will ship before the end of December? I've got a big project scheduled for early January and have the go-ahead to order a DTD drive, but I can't order the FS-4 unless I know it will be in my hands before Christmas. Thanks!
Dan Wiencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2004, 09:46 PM   #33
Major Player

Another question on the PAL setup.

If I buy an NTSC US model FS-4 for a Canon XL2 NTSC camera will it be compatible for my Canon XL1 PAL?

Thanks.
Jim Sofranko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2004, 11:37 PM   #34
Barry Wan Kenobi

Will the FS-4 support HDV? I don't see it listed on the specs, so I'm assuming it won't, but FocusInfo did say back in April that they intended to develop HDV products, so I'm hoping that maybe the as-yet-unreleased FS-4 will support it?
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2004, 10:34 PM   #35
Regular Crew

FAT32 file size

I saw that the FS-4 is formated in FAT32. Given the FAT32's file size limit of 4gb, how does the the FS-4 overcome this? I might have a gig this spring that requires me to shoot a 2 hour event nonstop. Would this be possible using the FS-4?
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2004, 11:49 AM   #36
Major Player

The Firestore breaks up continuous video streams into 2GB segments. The typically splice together seamlessly.
Old December 13th, 2004, 12:33 PM   #37
Regular Crew

Groovy, thanks!

<<<-- Originally posted by Vic Owen : The Firestore breaks up continuous video streams into 2GB segments. The typically splice together seamlessly. -->>>
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2004, 02:53 PM   #38
New Boot

There is some difference between the PAL and NTSC unit, or they would be interchangeable. I would guess that there are most likely some differences in the software, not the hardware.

I have a guess you might consider: If one version of software was used it would mean that the code would have to be more complex, more costly to maintain, and the hardware would be more expensive. If there are two versions of the software, then the cost for development and maintaining them can be combined and everyone pays more, or each kept separate and you pay based on sales volume and market for the version you use.

Along with issue in distribution, marketing, order fulfillment, and production. I wonder if my guess has anything to do with the price difference.

Either way, I have four on order.
Chris Kamilar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2004, 06:34 PM   #39
Regular Crew

Hi Matt,

A quick question regarding user defined time lapse.
The spec sheet says that the FS-4 does not offer this, but the FS-4 Pro does.

Can you give more information on time lapse and those specific differences between the FS-4 & FS-4 Pro.

Thanks!
www.doubledogsvideo.com
video@doubledogs.com
Brad Richmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2004, 09:29 AM   #40
Focus Enhancements

Hi Brad,

You are correct, the basic FS-4 does not support timelapse. FS-4Pro does however.

The basic differences between FS-4 and FS-4Pro can be found on the back page of the spec sheet at:
http://www.focusinfo.com/products/firestore/FS4features.htm

Hope that helps,
Matt McEwen
Matt McEwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2004, 11:40 AM   #41
Inner Circle

thanks for the info, but what about a date for the release of the device. December was announced and it hardly looks like this will be impossible. new deadline ?
It is not just to kick you about a touchy question, it is because i got project waiting for this.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2004, 02:54 PM   #42
Focus Enhancements

Hi Giroud,

The first beta units are now with customers. Depending on how the beta test phase continues to pan out, I would expect volume shipments for FS-4 some time in January.

So, please be prepared to roll tape for at least a little while longer.

I will post to this board when I have a better idea. Thanks for your patience.

Matt McEwen
Matt McEwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2004, 11:35 AM   #43
Regular Crew

HEY MATT
LET ME SEE IF I UNDERSTAND THIS - [NEW TO VIDEO] WITH THE FS-4 THERE IS NO NEED FOR A TAPE TO BE INSERTED INTO THE CAM ALL FEED IS GOIN TO THE FS-4?

OR

CAN A TAPE BE STILL USED I GUESS AS A BACK-UP
Ronnie William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2004, 04:18 PM   #44
Obstreperous Rex

Ronnie

It seems that your Caps Lock key is stuck -- please turn it off!

Whether or not you need a DV cassette in the camera just depends on which camera in particular that you're talking about. Some do. Others don't. At any rate, you can always have a DV tape inserted and recording for backup (which is called "confidence recording" in this business).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2004, 08:43 PM   #45
Regular Crew

oh ok -- thanks chris
and sorry bout the caps [my bad]
i am shooting with a canon xl2
Ronnie William is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore