New FireStore FS-4 - DTE for Hand Held Camcorders - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old January 25th, 2005, 08:18 AM   #61
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Daniel Kohl : Hi Scott,
.... I am looking into getting someone to design an OSX application that would automate stitching sequential film files together. -->>>

Should not be too hard to do if you know AppleScript. Don't know about carrying through continuous timecode though....but QuickTime Pro is very scriptable.

On another note, if all the OSX NLE has to do is READ from FireStore, why not just come out with an NTFS version, it will work on most PCs and Mac 10.3, which can read from NTFS volumes. Have not tested how one could delete the files.

AFAIK NTFS does not have the 2 gig limitaiton.
Frank Fulchiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2005, 08:48 AM   #62
New Boot

Daniel, thanks for the tips. For my needs, mobility is second only to stabilty/robustness. Everything I do is location work in all sorts of venues. I wondered about the laptop idea but I'm concerned about leaving one sitting next to a camera - keep in mind that I'm often doing an elaborate audio recording on-site (8 to 10 mics not unusual) - meaning that once I set up a camera, I'm all over the hall for a while.

Your link was very informative and I saw some great ideas there. Do you think the Lilliput monitor would work with the new Mac mini? That might be a good way to go.

Also, in looking at the FS4 on the B&H site, I saw the nnovia A2D and the Capdiv, besides being more dough, any thoughts on those? (I've never actually participated in a forum like this so I truly don't know the etiqutte. If I just stepped in something bad by mentioning other mfgs here, _please_ let me know and I apologize.)

Best, Scott
Scott Loiselle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2005, 09:22 AM   #63
Contributor

Scott,

I understand your problem about leaving equipment unattended. I have done a lot of time-lapse work of events, being set up and such. I have the same worry. But in the end you can chain a laptop to your tripod and camera, or a pole for that matter, as easily, or even easier, than you can one of the minidrives. They literally fit in your pocket. I would think that they are a lot more likely to sprout legs than a laptop. But this is a whole other set of arguments.

I think that the Mac mini would accept a TV as a monitor with the right adapters. Thus a small TFT TV should work. Sounds like a good idea. The only disadvantage is that the Mac mini needs power from an outlet. But it sounds like that is no problem for your application.

I have no experience with the nnovia or the Capdiv, so I can't comment.

Don't worry about etiquette too much, I don't. I think if you act natural, you can't go wrong. And as long as you don't attack anyone, no one can tell you what you can write or not write. At least that's my feeling. I'm not an admin here, and so far I have just been playing it by ear. Usually, people will give you friendly advice about "etiquette" if they think you need it. If something that someone writes doesn't seem logical to you, unless it's Chris Hurd, you can ignore it. Or better, ask for clarification.

One tip though: this is getting off topic, so you should maybe try starting a new thread, either about the Mac Mini, or etiquette, or about ways to keep your stuff from being stolen. :')

Cheers, and welcome to the potentially time consuming world of forums.

Frankenstein meets XL1
Daniel Kohl is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore