FireStore DR-HD100 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old June 20th, 2006, 05:53 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Benner
I think you can not use it because FCE transcodes the HDV to the AIC format which is INTRA frame. FCP can do this plus edit Native HDV across the GOP.
Wow! That sucks. Now I have to buy FCP? or sell my DR-HD100.

Are you pretty sure Steve? Even when Focus come out with the update?

Thanks,

Carl
Carl Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 07:10 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Upgrading the drive

Hi Matt,

Can you please explain how we will upgrade the drives?

Will we download the upgrade and then connect the drive?

I own the 40 gig version and we are very excited about this upgrade.

Thank you for such a cool tool.

Tom

www.tomchaney.com
Tom Chaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 08:09 PM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Martin
Wow! That sucks. Now I have to buy FCP? or sell my DR-HD100.

Are you pretty sure Steve? Even when Focus come out with the update?

Thanks,

Carl
Here is what I know about HDV/AIC.

HDV is what the JVC shoots. JVC uses HDV 1 (720P) which is recorded to tape as a 6-GOP. Each 6 frames contains only 1 full frame called an "I" frame. The next 5 are made up of B and P frames that are based on the information of the surrounding frames.

The Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) transcodes each of these GOP's into 6 independent frames. This is why HDV takes up less space than AIC. This can cause lag in real time capture because it takes a lot of processing power to transcode the HDV to AIC on the fly. The Firestore drive does not have the power to do this.

HDV on the otherhand is easy to capture, but when editing requires more processing power because the GOP structure gets damaged and needs to be reinterpreted. Without a VERY fast computer even dissolves may need to be rendered for real time playback.

FCE can only do the AIC. FCP is able to do this and edit the HDV Natively in its GOP form, but it needs a Quicktime wrapper (hence the update) since it cannot read a pure .m2t file.

I owned Final Cut Express HD and did this. It came with Soundtrack. I bought the Soundtrack Pro upgrade ($100, though it may be hard to find now) and then sent in the disc with $200 and got the entire Final Cut Studio from Apple. One of the best purchases of my life. You can also do this with Motion 2 and DVD Studio 4. They may be hard to find, but in the long run will be cheaper than paying for the studio in full.

Also, one of the best things about the JVC HD-100 is that it does 720/24P. While I am not sure you use it or not, but FCE DOES NOT support 24 Frame editing. Also, to get the "Soon to be released 720/24P HDV Support" FCP release from Apple, you are going to have to have a Crossgraded version.

I hope I helped you understand the whole thing. Good luck man. I just ordered the DR-HD100, and I am a big fan of Direct-To-Edit. I wouldn't part with it so soon. You are better off trying to get Final Cut Pro/Studio.
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 08:49 PM   #34
Focus Enhancements

Thanks for the great explanation Steve.

To address Tom's question, you will be able to order the QuickTime update from the Focus webstore ($39). You will be sent a CD with the new version and the new manual. To update, simply copy the .bin file which will be on the CD to your DR-HD100 and run the OS Update function in the DR-HD100 SETUP menu. After a reboot, the new software will be loaded.

Hope that helps,

Matt
Matt McEwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2006, 04:14 AM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McEwen
Thanks for the great explanation Steve.

To address Tom's question, you will be able to order the QuickTime update from the Focus webstore ($39). You will be sent a CD with the new version and the new manual. To update, simply copy the .bin file which will be on the CD to your DR-HD100 and run the OS Update function in the DR-HD100 SETUP menu. After a reboot, the new software will be loaded.

Hope that helps,

Matt
Thanks for the explanation...I will have to run it as well...

Can you canswer my question about the Camera Mount Kits? I'll write it again here:

There are none listed under the DR-HD100 Accesories on the Focusinfo Webstore Page. So I figure it is the same Cam Mount Kit as the FS-4. First, is that correct? Second, should I get the High Cap Kit or the Regular or does that depend on which Li-Ion Battery I plan on using?
Old June 21st, 2006, 04:29 AM   #36
Regular Crew

Steve,

I called Focus Enhancements and they talked me through ordering the camera mounting kit listed for the FS4, it works.

And for the record, it was really only a manfrotto hot shoe attachment that made it work. I would bet you can order the hot shoe attachment somewhere else for less money.

Matt, Thank you for answering my question.

Tom

www.tomchaney.com
Tom Chaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2006, 05:04 AM   #37
Regular Crew

Quote:
Here is what I know about HDV/AIC.

HDV is what the JVC shoots. JVC uses HDV 1 (720P) which is recorded to tape as a 6-GOP. Each 6 frames contains only 1 full frame called an "I" frame. The next 5 are made up of B and P frames that are based on the information of the surrounding frames.

The Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) transcodes each of these GOP's into 6 independent frames. This is why HDV takes up less space than AIC. This can cause lag in real time capture because it takes a lot of processing power to transcode the HDV to AIC on the fly. The Firestore drive does not have the power to do this.

HDV on the otherhand is easy to capture, but when editing requires more processing power because the GOP structure gets damaged and needs to be reinterpreted. Without a VERY fast computer even dissolves may need to be rendered for real time playback.

FCE can only do the AIC. FCP is able to do this and edit the HDV Natively in its GOP form, but it needs a Quicktime wrapper (hence the update) since it cannot read a pure .m2t file.

I owned Final Cut Express HD and did this. It came with Soundtrack. I bought the Soundtrack Pro upgrade ($100, though it may be hard to find now) and then sent in the disc with $200 and got the entire Final Cut Studio from Apple. One of the best purchases of my life. You can also do this with Motion 2 and DVD Studio 4. They may be hard to find, but in the long run will be cheaper than paying for the studio in full.

Also, one of the best things about the JVC HD-100 is that it does 720/24P. While I am not sure you use it or not, but FCE DOES NOT support 24 Frame editing. Also, to get the "Soon to be released 720/24P HDV Support" FCP release from Apple, you are going to have to have a Crossgraded version.

I hope I helped you understand the whole thing. Good luck man. I just ordered the DR-HD100, and I am a big fan of Direct-To-Edit. I wouldn't part with it so soon. You are better off trying to get Final Cut Pro/Studio.
Thanks Steve, you did help me to understand.

Carl
Carl Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2006, 10:31 AM   #38
Major Player

DR-HD100 and Avid Xpress Pro HD

Here I go again. For GODSSAKES someone please answer me this: Is it possible to import 24p HDV (.M2T) files into AVID EXPRESS PRO HD? I've tried it so many times to no avail. I keep getting the friggin' "not compatible MPG file" error. Somebody tell me, what's up with this SHHH... how can I import .M2T files into Avid Xpress Pro HD? Is it not possible? Should I be recording my 24p footage in a different format? Thank you.
Old June 21st, 2006, 11:26 AM   #39
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaadgy Akanni
Here I go again. For GODSSAKES someone please answer me this: Is it possible to import 24p HDV (.M2T) files into AVID EXPRESS PRO HD? I've tried it so many times to no avail. I keep getting the friggin' "not compatible MPG file" error. Somebody tell me, what's up with this SHHH... how can I import .M2T files into Avid Xpress Pro HD? Is it not possible? Should I be recording my 24p footage in a different format? Thank you.
720/24P HDV IS NOT SUPPORTED by Avid Xpress Pro, nor will it be supported with the 5.5 update. Hopefully one day they will.
Old June 21st, 2006, 02:04 PM   #40
Major Player

Quote:
720/24P HDV IS NOT SUPPORTED by Avid Xpress Pro, nor will it be supported with the 5.5 update. Hopefully one day they will.
Steve, or anyone out there, what is the solution to this dilemma, what's the workaround? How do I Edit my 24p footage in Avid Xpress Pro HD? I heard someone mention something about converting my .M2T files. Someone please respond. Thanks
Old June 21st, 2006, 04:36 PM   #41
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaadgy Akanni
Steve, or anyone out there, what is the solution to this dilemma, what's the workaround? How do I Edit my 24p footage in Avid Xpress Pro HD? I heard someone mention something about converting my .M2T files. Someone please respond. Thanks
Using a program like MPEG STREAMCLIP, you can convert the .m2t files to DVCPRO HD 720/24P. They should then be able to be imported into Avid.
Old July 13th, 2006, 12:19 PM   #42
Major Player

Matt, any news about the HDV - .MOV Quicktime Wrapper?
Old July 13th, 2006, 01:38 PM   #43
Focus Enhancements

It is in test. Hoping before the end of the month.

I will post when it is available.

Matt
Matt McEwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2006, 05:56 PM   #44
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McEwen
It is in test. Hoping before the end of the month.

I will post when it is available.

Matt
Thank you!
Old August 11th, 2006, 11:26 AM   #45
Regular Crew

Any idea on when an update will be released, so I can edit m2t on my mac pro?
Carl Martin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore