FireStore DR-HD100 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old June 16th, 2006, 07:35 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Benner
YES IT DOES! I was considering selling the HD100 for a HVX, because of no real Direct-To-Edit in HD yet, but this confirmation is good news. Thanks.

One more quick question that I want to confirm...If I buy one now, I will be eligable for an upgrade correct? None of this having to buy a new model or anything right?
I was told the upgrade would cost $39.00
Carl Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 11:00 AM   #17
Focus Enhancements

Yes, if you buy a unit now (FS-4Pro HD or DR-HD100...but if you own a GY-HD100, definitely get the DR-HD), you will be able to get the QuickTime HDV upgrade for $39.

Hope that helps,

Matt
Matt McEwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 01:57 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McEwen
Yes, if you buy a unit now (FS-4Pro HD or DR-HD100...but if you own a GY-HD100, definitely get the DR-HD), you will be able to get the QuickTime HDV upgrade for $39.

Hope that helps,

Matt
That's completely fair, I was afraid of having to buy a whole new unit...Glad to hear that! I am looking to buy a DR-HD100 Soon.

I heard the update came out last night, is that true?

I understand that it will take some time to develop the 720/24P HDV .MOV format since Apple hasn't released it yet. When they do, while waiting for Focus to construct a wrapper, can the DR-HD100 act as a Firewire Device so that it can playback the clips so FCP can capture them?
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2006, 10:55 AM   #19
Focus Enhancements

Hi,

The QuickTime HDV update has not come out yet. I am curious where you heard that.

Regarding 720/24p support and being able to capture the format to FCP, we'll know more I assume when Apple releases the software. It is hard to answer this without doing any tests.

Hope that helps,

Matt
Old June 19th, 2006, 11:55 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Hi,

The QuickTime HDV update has not come out yet. I am curious where you heard that.

Regarding 720/24p support and being able to capture the format to FCP, we'll know more I assume when Apple releases the software. It is hard to answer this without doing any tests.

Hope that helps,

Matt
Someone else on the Forum Said they heard it was out...forgot who

Well even like now can it act as a firewire device in 720/30P?
Old June 19th, 2006, 12:13 PM   #21
Focus Enhancements

Yes, it is currently possible to capture 720p/30 to Final Cut. 720p/24 may be a different situation, we just don't know yet.

Matt
Old June 19th, 2006, 12:19 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Yes, it is currently possible to capture 720p/30 to Final Cut. 720p/24 may be a different situation, we just don't know yet.

Matt
Thanks Matt.
Old June 19th, 2006, 04:46 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Thanks Matt.
I was the one that mentioned it, because I was told by Focus Tech support that an upgrade for $39.00 was suppose to be releesed last Friday, according to the tech. My question was, I cannot capture 720/30P into Final cut HD express, and he said this update would allow it.

Carl
Old June 19th, 2006, 06:04 PM   #24
Focus Enhancements

Sorry you were given the wrong information. The release was delayed a couple of weeks, so this may have been how tech support had the wrong info.

BTW, I don't believe that Final Cut Express supports native HDV (what you will require to use the new QuickTime update). It only works with HDV cameras using the AIC. You will require Final Cut Pro.

Hope that helps,

Matt
Old June 19th, 2006, 07:58 PM   #25
Major Player

Just ordered my DR-HD100! Should have it by Friday, and I am very excited. Matt, I have a Anton Bauer Battery System. Where can I get the cable so that it is powered by the Anton Bauer Battery. Also, on Focusinfo.com, the offical store has only extra batteries for the DR-HD100, but no Hot Shoe Mount Package. Will the FS-4 package work with it?

Also, should I get the kit with the High Cap Cradle or the regular mount kit?

Last edited by Steve Benner; June 20th, 2006 at 05:59 AM.
Old June 20th, 2006, 06:06 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Quote:
Sorry you were given the wrong information. The release was delayed a couple of weeks, so this may have been how tech support had the wrong info.

BTW, I don't believe that Final Cut Express supports native HDV (what you will require to use the new QuickTime update). It only works with HDV cameras using the AIC. You will require Final Cut Pro.

Hope that helps,

Matt
Matt,

I believe FC HD Express does support native HDV. I am able to capture 720/30P from tape.

When I try to capture from the DR-HD100 a window pops up saying quicktime does not support.

Thanks,

Carl
Old June 20th, 2006, 11:23 AM   #27
Focus Enhancements

It was my understanding that Final Cut Express HD is able to capture HDV clips, but only in the Apple Intermediate Codec (about 80Mb/s). I thought only Final Cut Pro allows for native HDV (MPEG2 Long GOP) editing in the timeline (which is what our up coming QuickTime HDV support format is). Maybe I am wrong though.

Matt
Old June 20th, 2006, 03:31 PM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
It was my understanding that Final Cut Express HD is able to capture HDV clips, but only in the Apple Intermediate Codec (about 80Mb/s). I thought only Final Cut Pro allows for native HDV (MPEG2 Long GOP) editing in the timeline (which is what our up coming QuickTime HDV support format is). Maybe I am wrong though.

Matt
I thought that was true also...Carl, you can check by looking at the Sequence Settings (Command 0). If it says that the compressor is AIC, then it is the AIC codec, not Native HDV.

Matt, which Hot Shoe Mount System fits the DR-HD100 that is on your website?
Old June 20th, 2006, 05:42 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
I thought that was true also...Carl, you can check by looking at the Sequence Settings (Command 0). If it says that the compressor is AIC, then it is the AIC codec, not Native HDV.

Matt, which Hot Shoe Mount System fits the DR-HD100 that is on your website?
It does not say anything under sequence settings,(command 0) I do notice that when I choose a setting under easy set-up and sellect from the list, HDV 720/30P, it says under that Setup for: (HDV-Apple intermediate codec 720p30). Does this mean I cannot use the DR-HD100 even when it has the update?

Thanks,

Carl
Old June 20th, 2006, 05:49 PM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Martin
It does not say anything under sequence settings,(command 0) I do notice that when I choose a setting under easy set-up and sellect from the list, HDV 720/30P, it says under that Setup for: (HDV-Apple intermediate codec 720p30). Does this mean I cannot use the DR-HD100 even when it has the update?

Thanks,

Carl
I think you can not use it because FCE transcodes the HDV to the AIC format which is INTRA frame. FCP can do this plus edit Native HDV across the GOP.
Steve Benner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore