Intro to HDV for DV users? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old October 4th, 2005, 09:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Intro to HDV for DV users?

Hi all,

I am just getting ready to purchase the GY-HD100U and I was wondering if any of you more experienced HD / HDV users can give myself and any other DV users tips on what new information and/or skills we'll need to develop in order to operate effectively in an HD / HDV environment. Specifically, in my case, for narrative work.

Thanks in advance,

-Shawn McBee
Old October 4th, 2005, 09:54 PM   #2

Shawn, you might want to check out http://vasst.com/?v=touragenda/I_want_my_hdv.htm

Even though the free evening is funded by Sony, the second day is straight HDV. No real Sony or JVC or Canon lean, it's just about HDV production, featuring myself, Heath McKnight from here at DVInfo.net, and others.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2005, 10:44 PM   #3
Regular Crew

That sounds great, Douglas. I'll probably be at the Ft. Lauterdale event in December!
Old October 5th, 2005, 10:12 AM   #4
Major Player

1. FOCUS.

Easily the biggest difference between DV and HDV is the focussing requirements.

2. Don't stop down too far.

Due to the 1/3" chips, all our cheepo HDV camcorders are diffraction limited at higher f-stops.

- add camera shake in post if you want it... stabilize if you don't
- use lighting, filters, etc. creatively to maximize the apparant dynamic range of the images

-Steve
Steven White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2005, 12:33 PM   #5
MPS Digital Studios

Read this book, too. Chock full of info.

heath
Old October 5th, 2005, 10:17 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven White
Easily the biggest difference between DV and HDV is the focussing requirements.
For me one of the biggest differences between DV and HDV has been learning how to deal with widescreen versus 4:3 format issues, both during editing and output. Of course if you've been doing widescreen DV that wouldn't be a problem, but otherwise it's a significant change.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2005, 03:52 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks so much for all the input so far. Of course, The more info the better!
Old October 6th, 2005, 01:40 PM   #8
Trustee

Hey Shawn,

I've been going back and forth using HDV and DV cameras for a long while now. The differences are small, but those small differences make a huge difference later in the edit room.

I just did a corporate gig today using an X1L - the camera seems light years behind my Z1U in picture quality and ease of use. Ok, light years is a bit much! But, it just didn't feel right using it...I was forced to of course. I did a corporate gig last month where I used my Z1U and it was a little softer than a JVC large shoulder mount. That's something to note.

Pan with action and if it's fast action...up the shutter speed a little to compensate. Also, add more light if possible...you could add gain instead or open your iris of course. It just needs more light anyway you slice it.

Buy and stick with decent tape stock - minimum I get is Sony Premium and haven't had any problems. However, people have said that dropouts are possible because of the nature of the mechanics with HDV...play it safe if you are shooting something important.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition