Canopus Eduis 3.0 Vs. Liquid Edition 6.0 For HDV Capture and Real time editing - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
All flavors of Edius; other Grass Valley / Canopus software & hardware.

Old January 6th, 2005, 05:01 AM   #16
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Joel Corral : live???? i don't understand is that a setting in liquid edition? -->>>
Live is one of the logging options along with IEEE1394.
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2005, 02:17 PM   #17
Trustee

I read a few months back tha JVC was doing a European tour demo'ing the new Canopus Eduis software to promote the 30p HD-10 cam for the PAL market. Apparently they were highlighting the 30p to 25p conversion using that setup with excellent results. Does anyone know anymore of this? Maybe there is a preset or something that is especially configured.
I assumed the results must be quite nice if they were using it to promote a non PAL cam.
Old January 7th, 2005, 08:44 PM   #18
Major Player

this could work on Z1

Ken, I tried while I had rented FX1 in possession to write out 720/30p m2t in procoder express back out through firewire to FX1 - no dice, a message came up saying "invalid input" - this despite the fact that JVC stuff shot in HDV1 mode SHOULD play out through FX1 according to FX1 manual (yeah, but I guess that doesn't include sending the stream to cam by firewire trying to record to it)...

I tried just for heck to render out 720/25p PAL streams to send back to NTSC FX1 *in case there is such thing as magic* - that didn't work.

So I think we'll have to wait for the Z1... All you can do with NTSC FX1 is write back 1080/60i 29.97...

Procoder express 2 with Edius 3 has a number of templates that theoretically allow you to go from one "flavour" of HDV to another - for instance, you CAN convert FX1 NTSC 1080/60i 29.97 to 720/25p HDV1... I am thinking this may be potentially cool way to use Z1 to get filmic look.

In fact, I am betting that this in fact is the entire strategy to appeal to filmmakers who want 24p type cadence - give us ability to convert to 25p (PAL) within same cam and voila, you have best of both worlds...
cheers.
Mark Kubat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2005, 11:37 PM   #19
Major Player

I can report the Edius NX is a great product, the only caveat is the computer has to be pretty impressive to make it work. Dual Xeon 3.2, server board, etc.

I would recommend buying the complete package that Canopus sells.

On the Pinnacle product, I tested it at DVExpo. When I started in the Non linear Editing world, it was with Fast's DPR. When they got around to offering a multi layer solution, and plug in transitions, the would need to be rendered, and there was always a chroma and luma shift.

Well, Pinnacle LE does the same thing. Not totally surprising, Pinnacle software is based on Fast Electronics code, so .....

For this reason I would not recommend using Pinnacle.

Hope this helps

DBK
Old January 19th, 2005, 01:25 PM   #20
Skyonic New York

<<<-- Apparently they were highlighting the 30p to 25p conversion using that setup with excellent results. -->>>

real simple, you can change the frame rate of any clip in edius using the clip properties dialog box in the bin
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2005, 09:09 PM   #21
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Joel Corral : well i got edius installed and had absolutely no problem capturing from my HDR-FX1, works in real time the thing that lags is the timeline marker kinda lags when playing video. Haven’t play anything back out yet, but i'll bet it will be flawless as the capture was.

way better than AspectHD because i can edit natively!

so i am very happy with my decision to go canopus thus far! -->>>

Now try this... Convert the transport streams to the Canopus HQ HD codec and then compare them side by side. You shouldn't see a quality difference but you WILL see a huge performance increase when using the HQ codec.
Michael Dontigney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2005, 09:41 PM   #22
Major Player

There is no visable difference when you use the Canopus HQ codec. There is a difference in performance.

The trick here still is that you need to buy the right computer. I'm still tweaking mine, but the more high power you can throw at it the better.

Stick to Canopus's recommendations for Mother Board, Videocard, etc.

Put a little more money into a 64bit SATA controller, and add more drives to improve the kick.

I'm still looking at the memory. I'm using 1 GB, might expand to 2

The Canopus system does rock for the production studio.

DBK
Old February 3rd, 2005, 11:47 PM   #23
Regular Crew

I am using Premeire Pro and Vegas now but looking to get something more powerful like the Edius NX or FCP.

What advantage would Edius NX have over FCP HD?
Greg Jacobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2005, 12:23 AM   #24
Inner Circle

<<<What advantage would Edius NX have over FCP HD? >>>

For purposes of HDV editing, Edius NX gives you a more efficient workflow, more choices of how to edit the footage (using different codecs), better real-time performance and real-time HD output monitoring. FCP HD can't even input HDV footage without using a third-party tool to convert the footage to the DVCProHD format, wich reduces the horizontal resolution and is reportedly very time-consuming. On the other hand, FCP HD is ultimately a more advanced editing program than Edius, so if you don't mind the workflow issues it's got some benefits there. I personally wouldn't use FCP HD to edit HDV footage at this time, but maybe when Apple releases the next update they'll finally have a decent HDV solution.

P.S. For about the price of a good G5 PowerMac with some basic upgrades and the FCP HD software, you could put together a complete Edius NX workstation with impressive real-time HDV editing capabilities. It's like back when Canopus released their "DVStorm" for DV editing, which put all Mac-based DV editing solutions to shame in terms of real-time performance. (And still does a full four years later.)
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2005, 12:34 AM   #25
Regular Crew

I understand that Edius NX is the best real time solution but I am concerned about plug ins. I like to use Magic Bullet and some other plugins so I guess I would not be able to use most of them (or any of them) with Edius.

To be honest that is my main concern even if it sounds trivial.
Greg Jacobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2005, 11:03 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Greg: with Edius you may have to export to other programs for advanced editing touches, but there are Canopus users who do this regularly without any problems. Still, if you already have a functional workflow using FCP HD and related plugins, you may be better off sticking with that for editing HDV.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2005, 01:19 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Right now you can get a great deal on Edius Pro 3.0 by buying the 2.5 and upgrading to the 3.0. I just ordered and this will only be available until they run out of their 2.5 inventory. Only difference you don't get the trial application cd, keyboard, and contest entry promotion/offer that you get when you buy the full version.
Randall Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2005, 03:50 PM   #28
Regular Crew

I am about to build a NLE workstation based on the Canopus NX for HDV
(been editing in a laptop...bored enough of renders).

I´m shooting SD till the end of 2006 (estimate) but am wanting to build a "long-lasting" system.

Simple question: Do you think this is enough to keep me from upgrading for a while?

Motherboard ASUS P5AD2-E Premium
CPU Pentium4 550 3,4GHz LGA775
RAM 4*Kingston 512 Megas DDR-II 533
System Drive 2*Western Digital Raptor 36.7 GB 10,000rpm (RAID0)
Storage Drive 3*Western Digital Sata 200 GB (RAID5)
DVD-R 3*NEC 3520A
Graphics Asus GFN6600GT
Display 2*BENQ T903
Canopus Edius NX HDV

Thanks
Paulo Figueiredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2005, 05:02 PM   #29
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Paulo Figueiredo : I am about to build a NLE workstation based on the Canopus NX for HDV

Simple question: Do you think this is enough to keep me from upgrading for a while?

Motherboard ASUS P5AD2-E Premium

I don't know the motherboard, but I would suggest:

1. Use the MB that Canopus suggests
2. Make it a dual MB, even if you only use 1 processor right now

The dual gives you much more RT power.

Good luck

DBK
Old February 13th, 2005, 08:23 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Paulo: if you use Edius NX with that motherboard you'll only be able to edit in SD, not HDV. To get the HDV features of Edius NX you need a motherboard with a 64-bit PCI-X slot, which is not the same as PCI Express. So as someone else said, you really should get one of the motherboards listed on the Canopus web site, and while you're at it you might as well get dual processors. But if you have no plans to edit HDV for another year or two, you might be better off just buying a DVStorm and putting that in the system you described.

By the way, I do much of my DV editing in real time on my laptop using the Canopus Edius software, which is pretty efficient even without hardware acceleration. When I really need better real time results, I move the project over to my DVStorm setup. This is a very handy combination.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE