System Drive for encoding HDV -7200 rpm or 10,000 rpm? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old December 28th, 2007, 12:19 AM   #1
Regular Crew

System Drive for encoding HDV -7200 rpm or 10,000 rpm?

Does anyone have a strong opinion on whether it is worth spending the extra money on a 10,000 rpm system drive for a Core 2 Quad machine that will be used for some HDV footage editing in Premiere Pro CS 3 and heavily used for encoding those hi-def video clips with Sorenson and Cleaner XL to WMV, QT, Real, Flash, etc. Of course the video files themselves will be on seperate external hard drives, and I have always used firewire with great success.

Just wanted to know if the system drive speed would make a bit of difference strictly for the encoding performance.
Jim Gunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2008, 09:50 PM   #2
Major Player

By system drive you mean the drive that contains your applications, OSX operating system, etc. - right? 7200 rpm will work just fine. I prefer to have a second internal drive for storing graphics files, final QT movies, etc. that I need often or want to reuse - use the money there.
Rick L. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 11:48 AM   #3
Major Player

I agree with the above. The 10,000 rpm drives are optimized for datacenters with lots of random read activity as it gives lower latency. Video is streamed and our modern motherboards and OSs do whatever prefetches to fill the pipeline.

10K drives can be expected to run hotter, make more noise and possibly have a shorter lifetime.
Don Blish is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions