I don't understand this glitch. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old January 9th, 2008, 09:01 AM   #1
Major Player

I don't understand this glitch.

A friend and I work together on many projects. We have our own separate gear. He shot a program with his Sony V1U. He edited it on Liquid 6.1. He showed me the program and I made some suggestions to improve continuity and flow. When he went back to revise some things, Liquid did not want to render anything. He struggeld with it for days and finally got it to render. He put it out to HDV tape and to Blu Ray. The program looked good but I thought it could be better. Since he had been experiencing so many problems with his edit system, I volunteered to do some additional editing. I got the HDV tape and put it into Premier Pro 2.0 using my V1U. Unfortunately, I did not watch the video during the digitizing process. After I had digitized everything, I returned the tape to him. When I started editing, I noticed that all of the transitions that he had used in Liquid were having issues during playback in Premier. The key frame of the incoming video would pop up full screen and then start the transition (disolve). In addition, when the transitions were performing, there were blocky drop outs during the transition. I called him when I saw this and he was absolutely insistant that there are no issues in any of his video. No transition problems on the HDV tape and no problems on the Blu Ray disc. He is sure that it is a problem with Premier Pro. I don't understand how it could be a Premier issue especially in the light of all of the problems he had when he tried to render the program in Liquid. My question is, would the V1U even know it is playing back a transition during digitizing or would it just see a continuous video stream of his rendered program? And if it is just seeing a video stream, how would Premier even know that it is supposed to be playing a transition? So what gives? Any ideas? BTW, he lives in another city so it really isn't just a simple matter of driving over to his studio to look at the tape again. Gas $$$$, argh.

Curious in Corpus Christi.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 11:11 AM   #2
Major Player

I think you already answered your question. As you said he was having render problems with his system. It sounds like the footage output from his machine was not completely rendered or non standard in some way. Cameras and decks are dumb machines. They only play and record what they are given. If there were problems or errors with his output they would be recorded. You didn't mention if he checked his tape on a real monitor not the V1U screen or if either of you tried a third machine as a control. Also, was the tape he sent you a multipass/old/cheap tape or a new one. Lots of failure points in your description that need to be eliminated before you can really track this down. But the first place I'd look is his machine.
Rick L. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 07:43 PM   #3
Major Player

He recorded the output on a new Sony Master quality tape. He hasn't tried to re-digitize the tape and he hasn't watched it since he got it back. He said he had watched it on a 50" plasma before he brought it over and did not notice the problems I found.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 11:06 PM   #4
Major Player

Latest developments. My friend again played the video tape on his V1U connected his 50" plasma via HDMI. He could find nothing wrong. Perfect play back. He captured it into his Premier Pro and had exactly the same problems I had, in exactly the same places. He put that back out to HDV tape on the V1u and the glitches were now obvious when played back on the 50" plasma. For the next step, he captured the original tape into Liquid 6.1 and he examined it frame by frame, there were no issues at all. But when he tried to put that back out to tape, Liquid said there was no media. He gave up for tonight in frustration.

I am so confused......

Any Premier Pro experts out there?
Greg Laves is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions