Torn between FCP and Vegas at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old January 2nd, 2008, 04:42 PM   #1
Major Player

Torn between FCP and Vegas

I've been a longtime Vegas user and currently uses Vegas 7 in my day to day editing jobs.

I'm currently at the point of looking to upgrade my current system in order to handle HDV.

I have a MacBook which I love and the only reason why I use Windows XP nowadays is for Vegas.

I used FCP to edit a music video last year and while it worked fine(and I love certain aspects of the FCP workflow, the application didn't feel NEARLY as smooth and responsive as Vegas 7 running on my antiquated P4 3.2GHZ machine. Granted, I was running FCP on a MacBook Pro with only 2GB of RAM. And I'm also comparing the performance of Vegas working with SD footage to the performance of FCP working with HD footage, but I thought the upgrade in CPU power would make up the difference. The responsiveness of an NLE is a HUGE factor for me.

My dilemma now is that I would love to purchase a MacPro and be 100% OS X. However, I don't know if the transition from Vegas to FCP is worth to be 100% OS X. I mainly edit weddings and I recognize the major workflow differences between Vegas and FCP. I think I can get use to the workflow differences.

Anyone here made the transition and how do you feel now?

Thanks.
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2008, 09:58 PM   #2
Major Player

Buy the mac.

The Mac (editing HD) was more "sluggish" than the PC (editing SD)? HD files are 4-6 times larger than SD files and depending upon codecs, etc. need way more horsepower to perform the same task. I'll bet that PC wouldn't even edit HD if you put them head to head. You've compared apples to bricks. If cost is a factor get Final Cut Express. It will do everything you need for weddings.
Rick L. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2008, 10:54 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
I'll bet that PC wouldn't even edit HD if you put them head to head.
Rick- huh? "PCs" can definitely handle HD editing.

Many high-end systems like Flame and Lustre run on PC/Linux (you can buy the same hardware yourself I believe), Quantel runs on Windows 2000. Scratch runs on Windows XP.

As far as the "affordable" side goes, there are a number of NLEs that can edit HD on Windows XP (e.g. Avid, Premiere, Vegas, etc.).
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions